Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I Post For The Second Time In One Day...

Is there a problem with me? *shrug*

Thanks to Jake's Word War 3, I am currently at 32k. Wow! And that's only 6k behind schedule, which is a really good thing :)

Okay, so I've gotten some requests from people (you guys know who you are) that want more excerpts: Apparently I have to post an excerpt every 10k so.... since I hit 30k today, at the bottom of this post you will find *another* excerpt.

So... stepping away from NaNoWorld for a sec, I thought I'd liven up the place with a little 'guess that movie quote,' stolen (and slightly altered, maybe) from Miss Raquel (hope you don't mind!).

Below are 10 movie quotes. Your job is to comment and guess as many as you can. NO checking imdb.com for the answers. That's cheating. You CAN consult other people though, just give them a little credit when you comment with your answers, alright?

(PS you can ask me for hints in the comments, but they *have* to be yes or no questions.)

Ready, set. GO!!

Guess That Movie Quote, Round One


1)  "Doctor. To muse and blabber about a treasure map in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic! And I mean that in a very caring way." 


2) "It's not impossible, I used to bulls-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."


3) "A little late for trimming the verge, don't you think?"


4) "Adventure is out there!"


5) "I'm not a dwarf! I'm a girl! And actually I'm tallest in my class."


6) "This isn't just any race. This is the *Santa Anita.* I had that race. I was there."


7) "A credit card slip?! Dude, we're on the grid! They have your records from forever, they have *my* records from forever!"


8) "I have a bad feeling about this."


9)  "You have fought your duel. That is well. Never fight another. That is better."


10)  "do not attempt to deny that I think very highly of him - that I greatly esteem him... that I like him." 




Alright! Have fun with that-- now here's the excerpt!!



   Two hours passed. Chance sat on his bed, then stood and paced, and stopped by the window and looked out over the town, then he went back and sat down on the edge of his bed and repeated the cycle many times over. At last, he heard the noise from the common room lessen, and the moon rose higher in the sky, and Chance was wide awake. Sleep was the last thing in his mind. He wondered where Sir Fawkes had gone, and what he was doing. At last, when the room started looking smaller to him, Chance stepped out and went quietly toward the common room.
   The tavern was eerily still; but as Chance neared the common room, he heard many men's voices coming as if from behind a wall. He stepped silently into the common room, keeping to the wall, and his eyes darted all around. Orran was nowhere to be seen, nor was anyone else, for that matter. He saw a light coming from a half-opened door at the far end of the common room. There was the source of the voices, and as Chance listened to their words, he caught his breath and didn't dare let it out.
   “Has Gerald come back?" said one voice.
   “No" replied another.
   “Lord Morcant won't wait much longer," this voice sounded like Sir Fawkes's, but Chance couldn't be sure. He crept closer.
   “How many more from Sir Daw's fief?"
   “Fourteen; and they're good, too."
   There was a lull in the talk, and then a smooth, quiet voice made itself heard.
   “I'm meeting with Reid tomorrow," the remark came almost gloatingly, and at this remark the others voices all arose in a clamour.
   “He's back?"
   “I thought he was still in prison."
   “He was dead last we all knew, blast him."
   “So he's back?"
   The smooth, quiet voice spoke again. “Naturally he's back. How else would I be able to meet with him?"
   “Where's he been?"
   “You really think I know? Reid keeps his own secrets."
   Chance's heart was beating so loudly, he thought the men would hear him. This sounded like a conspiracy, or something else underhanded. But what were they talking about, exactly? He strained to hear more, but suddenly he heard the dull thud of footsteps. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw no one, but the footsteps were coming nearer. Chance's heart beat wildly. He didn’t think, and instead dashed behind Orran’s counter. He hardly dared blink now. The footsteps came nearer, until they were ringing in his ears… then they passed, and a new voice, Orran’s, joined in the conversation in the back room. Chance glanced up, and seeing no one else, ran for Sir Fawkes’s room.
   Behind him, he heard the voices quiet. “Who’s out there?” someone asked the others. Chance didn’t dare look back. He rounded the corner and breathed a little sigh of relief, but then his face was suddenly smashed into a person’s shirtfront. Chance gasped and stepped back, and the biggest, most muscular man he had ever seen stepped from the shadows. Chance turned to run, but the man reached for his sleeve, and Chance found himself held powerless in the man’s hold.
   “Who are you?” the man asked, not really interested. “Little spy, eh?”
   “No!” Chance choked out. “I’m Sir Fawkes’ squire!”
   “Sir Fawkes does not have a squire.” The man started dragging him toward the room where the men were meeting.
   “We only met this morning!” Chance dug his heels into… nothing. They merely slid across the wood floor. His heart was pounding, and he was getting worked up into a panic. What was going on? What were they going to do to him?
   He suddenly stood in the doorway of the back room. The men had fallen silent and were staring at him. Chance stopped struggling and stood there, eyes darting like a trapped animal....


I realize this must be a very confusing excerpt, as there is no introduction to anyone. Sorry. I didn't want to post an excerpt that "gave too much away" so I figured, hey, this worked, because it doesn't give any vital information away. Don't worry-- I'll see if I can get a better one *next time*.... 


Alright. I go now to do my math and bust out another 7k.... Lord willing....

12 comments:

Tammi said...

I read the first movie quote and stated laughing. I think I saw that particular movie about 20 times in the week I was at your house!
Are we supposed to post our guesses for the other quotes? I don't want to accidentally give away any answers.

The Director said...

Haha-- I forgot about *that* lol.

You know, the way I've seen it, everybody comments and everybody can see the answers, so I don't think it's a problem. I could poke around and see if I can do it a different way, though...

The Director said...

Okay, I looked for a "allow reader comments, hide existing" but that wasn't one of the options. so don't worry about giving away the answers.

:)

Lainie said...

I shouldn't threaten you in public.

AND...

I really should stop asking for excerpts because all they do is make me crazy.

*sigh*

"Mommy" me says, "Do your math and your science and go to bed early, please."

"Lainie" me says, "Hurry up and finish this story and I don't care if I have to bring you coffee all night!" Arghhhhhh!


{deep breath}

I'm okay now (smiling sweetly).

Movie quotes:

1) Treasure Planet
2)Luke in some episode of Stars Wars
3) I have no idea!
4)UP
5)Lucy in Narnia (L,W, and the W)
6)Seabiscuit
7)National Treasure
8)Han Solo in like every episode of Star Wars (that he was in-- you're so specific)
9) I have no idea.
10) Sense and Sensibility :)

~Miss Raquel said...

Ooh!! So glad you decided to do this too, dear!! :) And no, I don't mind at all!

#2 - Star Wars: A New Hope

#5 - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

#6 - Seabiscuit (JUST watched this today!! :)

#7 - National Treasure 1

#8 - Okay, this is said in two movies that I know of... Star Wars and Indiana Jones...

#10 - Sense and Sensibility 1995

I think those are the only ones I know...
Very fun, dear! :)

Oh, and about the battle about who's more excited to see The Voyage of the Dawn Treader...sorry, but...you lose ;)

The Director said...

Hee hee... wit a sec-you watched Seabiscuit and you didn't invite me over?!? lol- I must not have gotten the memo XD

Oh and about the *nonexistent battle*-- jury's still out on that whole deal :P

~Miss Raquel said...

Oh sorry, dear!! I didn't know you liked Seabiscuit so much! Send me your e-mail address, so I can invite you over next time ;)

I'm watching Flicka right now...want to join me?

The Director said...

Ooh, Flicka, you say? I'm on my way over!

XD

Oh and if you *were* actually looking for my email address, it's on the 'contact me' page :)

Amaranthine said...

#4 is Up.

Squeaks said...

Awesome excerpt! This story sounds so interesting...I want to read more lol !

Squeaks.

The Director said...

Thanks Squeaks :)

My mom came in my room maybe ten minutes after I posted and was like, "So what happens?" and I said, totally laughing, "No way!!"

We have this whole funny "argument" because I won't let her read it yet... :P

Squeaks said...

XD That's awesome! I know, I tend to leave my family on cliff-hangers too. They just snort and walk away, knowing that no matter what I'll make sure it remains a secret until later. There are even *whispers* some writing pieces they've never heard of before...I have secrets lol ;)

Squeaks.