Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNoWriMo Day Two: It's Just One of Those Days

Over at the NaNo forums, I had to visit the "NaNoWriMo Ate My Soul: a clubhouse for Wrimos in distress" section.

Because I was, indeed, a Wrimo in distress.

When the countdown on the site read 0:0:0:0 at midnight, November 1st, I went to my Word Document and just started typing.

And today, when I re-read my work, I realized I was babbling. It was boring, boring rubbish.

For one thing, I apparently didn't plan out the beginning well enough. It felt like the story was going in slo-mo.

My poor sister had to put up with a lot of moaning, groaning, and me slamming my head on my desk last night.

**headdesk**

Like that.

Because I didn't have a plan. And I was 4,000 words behind. And I didn't know what to do. I sought out some medieval expert people's advice on the forums, and I altered the storyline a little. Yes, I understand some of you want to shake me and holler, "It doesn't matter! Just keep writing! Forget it!" But you know, sometimes a writer just has to start over.

I think I have things under control right now.

Yeah right, says the voice inside me that's capable of facing reality. Because I'm 6,000 words behind now. Oddly enough, though, I'm not too freaked out. I haven't hyperventilated all day.

Why? This is NaNoWriMo we're talking about! This is serious business, Abby! You should be pulling out hair right now! Hm.


You know, there's a song that I've been listening to a lot lately. It's by 33Miles, called "Just One of Those Days".

The first verse goes:

Woke up to the pouring rain

Stumbled out of bed with half a brain


Twenty minutes late for work again


But it's alright, it's alright


No time for coffee, gotta hit the door


Grab a shirt from off the floor


Never noticed it was stained before


But it's alright, it's alright


Oh, but nothing's gonna bring me down


No, not now



This verse and the next are about the disasters that happens in the guy's day.


And then here comes the chorus:

It's just one of those days


When everything's right


God is in His heaven and I'm walking in the light


So hallelujah anyway


It's just one of those days



You look at the sky

Throw your hands up and you laugh at life


So hallelujah, Lord be praised


It's just one of those days




And you know what? Today, I've learned that I just need to relax. It's alright, because I'm saved, Jesus loves me. and I'm going to Heaven. What more do I need?


I apologize if you were looking for sage, literary advice today. Come back in about a week and a half and I might have some of that for you.


But today, just know: whatever's going on in your life, Jesus is the solid rock that you can cling to, and no matter how disastrous life is right now- Heaven is coming.


It's just one of those days.
So hallelujah, anyway.




It's Just One of Those Days- 33Miles


Woke up to the pouring rain
Stumbled out of bed with half a brain
Twenty minutes late for work again
But it's alright, it's alright
No time for coffee, gotta hit the door
Grab a shirt from off the floor
Never noticed it was stained before
But it's alright, it's alright
Oh, but nothing's gonna bring me down
No, not now

CHORUS
It's just one of those days
When everything's right
God is in his heaven and I'm walking in the light
So hallelujah anyway
It's just one of those days
You look at the sky
Throw your hands up and you laugh at life
So hallelujah, Lord be praised
It's just one of those days

The boss calls…yeah, I know I'm late
I had a flat on the interstate
Tell the man that he can wait
Don't get uptight, it's alright
Hold on…there's another call for me
No, I didn't buy a diamond ring
Somebody stole my identity
Hey it's alright, it's alright
Oh, but nothing's gonna lay me low
Cause I know

CHORUS
So come on rain, lightning strike
Just you try to shake my life
You got no power, you got no hold
Cause it is well with my soul

CHORUS
So hallelujah, Lord be praised
It's just one of those days




6 comments:

Lainie said...

I really like that song.

I really love you.

The Director said...

Love you too. :)

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

That's awesome!!! (Yes, I'm still awake.)

Have I told you lately how much I adore you? Well I have now!

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

By the way, that song rocketh!

The Director said...

You're awesome, girlfriend :) I know it feels really really late but it's only 10:15!

Love your name!

Stephanie said...

That's a good song. I just heard it for the first time.