Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Writing Sure Can Be.... Freaky.

Well, here I go, back to the NaNo madness... you guys didn't get a very long break from it, huh?


I'm not at a very high word count right now (but don't worry, my word count widget at the bottom of the site is in dire need of updating. that's not my word count, thank goodness!), nor am I very far into the story.

I've had the thing outlined for forever, but... outlines aren't the story. I know what's going to happen, and at the same time, I have no idea.

Wait, I said that on some other post already didn't I? Ah, well... at least I'm consistent.

Anyway...

Once I leave the setting my MC is in right now, I'll be in over my head. I'll be in unknown territory, I'll be in the deep end, so to speak. With each sentence I write, I'm taking one more step towards somewhere new. 

I mean sure, even in the village where my MC is right now, things are new and unexpected. But that's been the only setting I've written in; I, like my MC Chance, don't know what the world is like beyond his village. 

And it's like... wow.

It's sort of frightening to me! Kinda freaky. Because I'm someone who likes to know things ahead of time. I like to have a plan. I also like to know what I'm getting myself into. In everything in my life, that statement is very true. 

I've been like Samwise Gamgee. I've been holding back. Have you been, too?


"If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been."
--Samwise Gamgee



It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You put your foot on the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you'll be swept off to.

It's also a dangerous thing, Wrimo, putting your pen to paper.

So it's a strange thing, this NaNoWriMo writing insanity. Because I really don't know what I'm going to get myself into, come the next 7,000 words. There's no road map, no warnings, no rest stop signs. I have no idea where I'll be, or what's going to happen to me. 

But I'm willing to find out.

What about you, my fellow writer? Are you willing to take the plunge into that uncharted territory, into the deep end of the pool? Are you willing to go in over your head?

It's frightening, I know. So. Totally.

But I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of..... oh, hold on. Sorry, waxing Aragorn for a sec there.





Heh. Heh.

Moving on...

Over the last few days,  whenever I think of writing my heart starts beating rapidly, and I *think* I start breathing funny. Because I'll be going into the unknown. And I might have been procrastinating because of that nervousness of going in over my head. 

*Sigh* okay, I've been procrastinating alot. But I'll take care of that.

It's freaky to realize that all your planning, all your preparation, is about to come to fruition. It's about to come to life!! Well, sort of... but you know what I mean. Heh. Heh.

So this is me here in front of all you people, asking you to hold me accountable. Shove me into that pool, okay? Help me into that unknown territory. And if you want, I'll help you, too. The days are counting down until Nov 30th, Wrimos. The days are counting down! We gotta do this!

Well, here's me giving you advice that I ought to be following. Go in over your head! Go plunge headfirst into that uncharted land. Go do it!

Are you with me, Wrimos??

Good. I thought so.


"Come on, Sam."




PS did I overdo my alluding to LotR? I do tend to, *cough*, overdo things....


[BTW, I got all of the pictures off Google.]

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Awesome post! I know what you mean, except with me, I've been in unknown territory for the whole second book I'm writing *shiver*

Squeaks.

Son of the King said...

@ The Director,

Great post! I can totally relate to your predicament, writing is a new step out the door for me and every step further is an un-known one. Oh, just one thing, if your plot does not follow the exact line that you want it to don't worry. Most of the time my thoughts don't even follow the plot but I write them anyway and guess what, they end up being even better than my plot!

~Son of the King~
(Wildly celebrating 30K)