Saturday, January 22, 2011

TRON: Legacy Review

Warning: there is a possibility of spoilers in this review.

First off: I have not seen the original Tron. However, I really, really liked this one.

Summary:
Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), a rebellious 27-year-old, is haunted by the mysterious disappearance of his father Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), a man once known as the world's leading video-game developer. When Sam investigates a strange signal sent from the old Flynn's Arcade -- a signal that could only come from his father-- he finds himself pulled into a digital world where Kevin has been trapped for 20 years. With the help of the fearless warrior Quorra (Olivia Wilde), father and son embark on a life-or-death journey across a cyber universe -- a universe created by Kevin himself that has become far more advanced with vehicles, weapons, landscapes and a ruthless villain who will stop at nothing to prevent their escape. 
(Summary by Walt Disney Pictures)





If you love action or sci-fi films, then I highly recommend you see Tron: Legacy. It's jam-packed with crazy fight scenes and chase sequences, and The Grid is an absolutely amazing and totally realistic computer world.

I have to say, I liked this movie a lot more than I thought would. Having seen the trailers ahead of time, I expected good effects and cheesy acting. While the CGI lived up to my expectations, the acting surpassed them. If the worry of cheesy acting is holding you back from watching this movie, allow me to assure you- while not the greatest acting in the world, there were barely any cheesy moments. (There are a couple, though, I will admit.) The actors obviously threw themselves into the roles wholeheartedly, and it shows.

The story is more of a character-driven one than one with an obvious plot, which keeps you on your toes for sure, but it's paced well, and it's a pretty easy story to follow (unlike other action films where the characters are running around doing supposedly meaningful things while the audience sits there scratching their heads). The music, also, was superb, and fitted the film perfectly.

The other great thing was that there was no inappropriate romance to speak of. No kisses, no innuendo, nothing. In the last scene, Sam is riding his motorcycle with Quorra holding on behind him, but I don't think that counts as romance.


The few objectionable things:

Kevin does mention Zen once or twice, which is, obviously, unbiblical, but it's not discussed in depth, merely in one or two brief sentences.

Shortly after Sam enters The Grid, his clothes are removed and he is dressed as a program. This is the one scene that was close to being extremely awkward, but thankfully it's brief. There is no nudity, though you do see Sam's bare torso for a moment.
(He also changes shirts in an earlier scene, but it's to reveal the bruises on his back from a run-in with the police.)

The violence, while neither bloody or gory in any way (the programs disintegrate into a bunch of little microchips when "killed."), the action does get pretty intense, most likely too intense for younger children.
(There is one brief shot that shows a few drops of Sam's blood fall to the ground, which identifies him as a user. It's the only blood in the whole film.)
There are plenty of explosions and disintegrating programs throughout.

Also, Sam uses the d-word and the h-word a couple times.

The wackiest character in the movie, a program called Zuse, may bug certain people, but he wasn't icky. Just... strange.

(Oh, and despite the title, Tron himself has almost nothing to do with the film. He makes a few appearances, but overall he wasn't exactly crucial to the plot.)



There is one more thing I have to say: while I'm more anti-3D than a supporter of it, I saw Tron in 3D... and I highly recommend it. The effects are neither dizzying nor of the in-your-face kind. Rather, watching it in 3D artfully enhances the film, and honestly, I really enjoyed myself. If there's one movie that's out right now that you should see in 3D, it's this one.



While there isn't any particular moral theme, it's entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable. I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing it again.

6 comments:

Georgianna Penn said...

I've kind of wanted to see this, but I've heard so many mixed reviews. Some say it was amazing, others that it was terrible. I'll probably see it eventually, but probably not in theaters.
Thanks for the review!

Eldra said...

I totally recommend seeing it in theater! I saw it twice in one week, once with a friend, then with my family, and I absolutely loved it both times. Science fiction is my favorite genre of all-time, however, so that's probably why.

I did see the original Tron before watching Legacy, but it wasn't really necessary, although certain (small) things did make more sense because of it. It's on YouTube if you want to check it out. Just be warned, it's way cheesier than Legacy!

Barriss Offee said...

I went to see this in 3-D, and it was awesome. Great review!!!

-Barriss :-D

Chris said...

I watched this in theaters, and I was, well, really bored. I need for a movie to make me care about the characters, and to raise the stakes. That's one reason why I think many of M. Night Shymalan's films, and J.J. Abram's films are so good. They make me care about the characters.

So my question is, what about Tron made you like it so much? Not necessarily what was done well, or the CGI, but why did you like it? What appealed to you?

The Director said...

Chris,

To be honest, I'll start off with saying that I've watched it once at home on DVD since seeing it in theaters, and my enthusiasm has definitely taken a downward curve :|

But what appealed to me when I first watched it was- okay, this will probably sound terrible- but it was my first (and only, currently) movie I saw in 3D, and I was super tickled ;)

I also find that compared to the majority of the people I know, I... extend a lot of grace, if you will, to whatever movie I'm watching and make myself care for the characters, so I'm purposefully trying to care about the characters, which is probably why I got so into it. *sheepish smile*

As well, I think I hadn't seen a Sci-Fi film in awhile, so Tron seemed really good. :P

Again, I like it a lot less now than I did then, but there's that for you ;)

Chris said...

Ok, thanks!