Friday, January 7, 2011

Writing Sometimes Involves More Yelling, Pacing, and the Pulling of Hair than Most People Think

*paces room*

*pulls hair*

*paces some more*

*pulls hair*

*yells random, generally incomplete sentences*


Odd, is it not? Useless, does it not seem?

And yet, folks, it's part of writing. Doing other things besides literal writing can be, believe it or not, part of the process, or at least beneficial to your work.

Perhaps you are familiar with scenarios involving dialog something like this:

"See?!?! They told me it was-"

"Oh argh! Ungh! Rarghghg!"

"See? They- argh!"

"Sacraments!!"

"But if I-"

"He could, d-"

"Stereotypical! They told me it was too stereotypical, and I didn't listen!"

"Now I have to do the-"

"Ugh!!"

"And then that, the-"

"I have to change that whole thing with the-"

"Argh!"

"Sacraments!"

"But now I have to do the, ugh, do the... the, the..."

"Rarghgngnh!! Mass! But what if I-"

"He could-"

"And then instead of that--"

"Arghghghg!!"

"SACRAMENTS!!"



Hm... yeah.

I'm gonna go back upstairs to my room and continue this very complicated and intricate stage in the writing process. It is the wrestling out of many thoughts and plans and changes and scenes, which takes much experience, skill, and dexterity of tongue to accomplish successfully.

Farewell, and have a great, painless night.

On a sidenote: I'm not Catholic. But my characters are. Medieval England, you see ;)

7 comments:

Amaranthine said...

Good luck. Don't give in to your characters' demands TOO easily.

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

Need help? I'd be happy to pull some hair for you... You know which one!

Katie said...

Bwahaha. I laughed. Hard. 8D

I know how it goes... I'm often up till 2:00am writing one measly paragraph because all those voices going through my head and won't shut up.

"Change that! That's cheesy? What where you thinking when you planned this?!" :P

Oh, the wonderful life of a writer... ;)

Varon said...

I never actually have that problem when I write. I just let the story practically tell itself, though, I do practice some head-banging.

Jake said...

Wow. That was something.

Cosette said...

Oh. My. Word.
Hahaha! I have the same problem as you :-/

Millardthemk said...

A ranting catholic? ;)