Monday, February 28, 2011

Making-Of Monday!


Hey guys!

The featured movie of the week is Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.



I've been watching the bonus disc with a the bonus features lately, so this seemed most appropriate.

I'm afraid this will be short-ish, as I'm just figuring out how I want to do these posts ;)
What I'm thinking is I will list facts, trivia, and things that filmmakers can learn from. Not much of me "talking." Just listing. Mostly. I think. *thinks*

Anyway... carry on!


Captain Jack Aubrey: Russell Crowe



Dr. Stephen Maturin, Surgeon: Paul Bettany



Director: Peter Weir



Did you know.....


Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany both learned to play their respective instruments, the violin and cello. 
But when shooting the scenes in the cabin where they played together, a pre-recorded track of their pieces was played very loudly from a speaker during the takes. Crowe and Bettany would play with the track. 



There were three different versions of the Surprise, Captain Aubrey's command.
There was a full-life version, which was originally a frigate called The Rose. 
(Fox paid $1.5 million for the ship on Weir's request.)
There was also a Weta-made "big-ature."
As well, there was a digitally created ship. 

The goal of the filmmakers was for the audience to be unable to differentiate between the versions of the ships. 

Composer Christopher Gordon said that while swashbuckling, big-themed music was what would be expected for this type of film, his aim for the music was to be more like texture, to give feeling to the film- not a tune you would be whistling when you left the theater. 


Director Peter Weir would play sound effects or music from loudspeakers in between takes, so help with the mood and performance of the actors. While shooting the battle scenes, there were gunshots and other war-themed noises. Talk about intense!




The sense of rank was established from the moment the cast and crew set on board the frigate. 
Each rank from the officers, midshipmen, seamen, marines, to even the captain were given a different colored shirt. Red for the marines, navy blue for the officers, light blue for the midshipmen, and white for the rest of the ordinary seamen. 



Filmmakers:
Jot this down!
Peter Weir used multi-cameras several times, which in many cases can create more problems that it solves. 
However, they meticulously storyboarded the battle sequences and other scenes where they used multiple angles simultaneously, thus being prepared when they got on set. 
When using multiple cameras, storyboard the scene and lock it in. It will be more painless on set, then. 


ALRIGHT- CHECK THE GATE!
:)

That's all for now..... I'll be back with this next week!

Please, tell me in the comments: was this good? What should I do differently? More? Less? 
Lemme know ;)

8 comments:

Eldra said...

That was really good. I love behind the scenes stuff for movies/tv shows, sometimes more than the movie/tv show itself.

And is that bottom picutre of Billy Boyd or am I completely mistaken?

The Director said...

Thanks! And yes, thats's Billy Boyd playing coxs'n Bonden. :)

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

I wouldn't make it any longer. You know how I feel about long posts...

Marian said...

Great post! This is one of my favorite movies ever, me being something of a sea-story geek. ;)

Paul Bettany's cello-playing never ceases to amaze me; it looks so natural! In fact, I think all of the violin/cello duets were really well-done, which is unusual for a movie.

I love the realism of this production as well. It's nice to see historical fiction taken seriously on film!

Amaranthine said...

Ooh, I went to the place where part of the movie was filmed! (Bartholomew Island in the Galapagos!)


I like the post! Also, great Oscar post. :)

Anonymous said...

I quite enjoyed the post :) In fact, I wouldn't mind one a little longer...
I think it would be cool to hear some more of your thoughts on a given movie and/or on how it was made. Oh, and I liked all the pictures and trivia :)

-Bunny Slippers

Lainie said...

Definitely longer. You know how I love detail.

I love the background stuff and I would love to see pics of the big-atures.

EFC-- get a snack FIRST, then read blogs :)

Endor said...

I like this whole post idea!

Never seen this movie before; I might have to now. ;)