Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On books, books, and evening surprises

Wednesday is our family library day. Each week, after my sis and I get out of ballet, we get picked up and driven to the library, where I unvaryingly pick up a multitude of books on hold, and end up with a 20-foot stack of books distributed among the three siblings.

Needless to say, I end up with a huge stack of books around my bed... some weeks, I have to literally leap over the stack to get into bed. And not to mention, there's a whole 'nother group of books that I have purchased and are on the reading list, too.... So this is library books and purchased books that I have to leap over. Serious exercise, I tell you.

So, you can imagine that when I came home with a fresh arsenal of books tonight, I finally decided it was time for some organization.




Yes, my friends. That, up there, is maybe two months of accumulating books, library-owned or otherwise. 

I decided to categorize by either series, read, reading, or unread. 


Below: the series stack. And I'm seriously diggin' the Shadow Children series, so far.



Currently reading:



Already read:


Fresh from the library (mostly). To-read.



Aha! MORE books- and a couple DVDs.


So then I made lists. In my genetically ingrained doctor handwriting. 



ACK! MORE BOOKS!




*Gacks*

...more books....


Can't wait to read these, either... :D

Give me about ten minutes of scrambling back and forth and making stacks and putting everything in place.....


And now! Here is what was a mass of chaos, and it now...


A mass of ordered chaos. 

With a tissue box on top.


Oh yes, and apparently all the CDs I checked out were blue. 

Haha.






And now the highlight of the evening.....

PREFACE:
Us Oregonians are extremely.... interesting... when it comes to weather. 

Particularly snow. 

We love it.

We don't get much of it. 

I guess there was a commercial that made a joke out of Portlander reactions to snow: like, a single flake floated down, everyone froze for a second, and then freaked out and started scrambling around to prepare like it was a blizzard. And then.... silence. No more snow. 

That's us. Half a centimeter of sticking snow, and school's canceled, everybody looks for their sleds and mitten and scarves..... compared to colder, snowier areas, we're ridiculous. 

Which is why the snow this evening was such a big deal. 

Yup! It snowed.... and it was sticking, too! Bonus!! 

Everyone around here was ecstatic: I know because I looked at my mom's Facebook page. 

**EDIT: Video will be back later**





So.... what did you lovely people do this evening??


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, don't you love us Oregonians?? You really learn to appreciate snow!

I love your genetically ingrained doctor handwriting by the way!! :D

-Bunny Slippers

Katie said...

Jane Eyre! Five Children and It! Happy memories in abundance! ^.^!

Needless to say, I love those books. Particulary Jane Eyre. :D

And I wish I could send you some of the snow we're stuck with here in Wisconsin. I seriously wonder if spring will ever come again... ;)

Endor said...

Hee, you guys sound like Houston when we had our freezing temperatures. "The world's gonna end! Everybody, stay home and hide!!!!!" LOL!

I LOVE library day!!!! Most of the time it's my mom who goes and brings home my huge pile of holds. :) Yesterday, all four of us got to go with Mom. She said, "You can only get books if it'll fit on your shelf." Hehe.

Good to see that you're organized now! :D

Amaranthine said...

That's a lot of books! My mom hasn't taken me to the library in AGES because I don't to schoolwork when there are books to read. And I get a LOT of books. I'm going to get Artemis Fowl when I go to the library!

Vrenith said...

Ah, Jake gave me Dragons of the Valley on my birthday last year... :D
Lots of books, happy reading!
--Vrenith

Noah Arsenault said...

Wow, lots of books! I love getting tons of books from the library!

I find that most of the cd's I buy are blue, strange, isn't it?

Gillian said...

Haha. Nice pile of books! Looks like my writing desk - it's always covered in piles of the books I'm reading at the moment. I think I have both writer's and reader's ADD - I like to have more than one project to work on at a time. Which reminds me... I have books waiting at the library now. I need to go pick them up!

Yeah, that's like Texans and cold weather... the least hint of ice or snow and the entire state shuts down! But that's ok, because that means we get to enjoy it before it melts...

Pathfinder said...

Us Ohioans are used to a lot of snow. On Monday, we got around ten inches, maybe more in five hours. What was usually a 20 minute drive turned into 4.5 hours. Last night, we got a lot too. I'm not sure how much, but I needed my rainboots to go outside.

Chayal: have you read Black by Ted Dekker?

Millardthemk said...

Snow.....YES! We got snow at my house too! Still have some outside actually. I took a video for my dad incase when he got home it was gone. *reddens* Nice book array :) I see KOE there too! :O

The Director said...

You guys all make me smile :)

@Noah
Too funny!

@Pathfinder
Nope, I haven't read a single Ted Dekker thing, but I have Chosen from the library :P Do you like the book you mentioned??

@Millard
LOL. ;) Nice. Yeah, there's a little snow left on our front yard, too. And yuppers, I got KOE from Amazon when I got, like, four of Rosemary Sutcliff's books :D *sigh* Amazon money all gone now.... XD

Pathfinder said...

Chayal: I love everything i've read by Dekker. You'll love Chosen!

Sarah said...

Cool! Donita K. Paul is one of my top three favorite writers, and her new series is EPIC! I enjoy the Shadow Children series as well . . . have you read Ms. Haddix's other books? They're rather good, if slightly creepy . . . and hard to put down. Here's my library-evening syndrome:

(Looks through book bag) Hmm . . . Wilderking . . . Tolkien . . . hmm, (Insert book by Ms. Haddix) looks interesting. (Opens to read summary) Really looks interesting. (Flips pages to prologue) I'll just read the prologue . . . (reads prologue) Well . . . maybe (ends up on bed reading book)

Yep, that's me. I have been able to resist the temptation thus far with Among the Enemy, though. YAY!
-Lady Sarah, Dreadnaught of Berinfell, Swordmaiden of Alleble, or Elven Princess of Rivendell, depending on who you ask.

The Director said...

Gah!!! I have Among the Enemy next on my list to read: I just finished Among the Brave TODAY! :P

Yes, well, there's your answer for you ;)

Sarah said...

Thanks! BTW, I just read Among the Enemy today . . . it was cool. Matthias, Percy, and Alia from Among the Betrayed return, along with Nina. BTW, I didn't notice that you have The Angel's Command in your book stack . . . I'm going to read that one soon. It's the sequel to Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, right?
Thanks for answering my question!
-Lady Sarah, Dreadnaught of Berinfell, Swordmaiden of Alleble, or Elven Princess of Rivendell, depending on who you ask.