Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Inheritances and.... Nephews???



I have some itty-bitty tidly-bits of information, gathered from various sources :)



The fourth and final book in Christopher Paolini's The Inheritance Cycle is to be released near the end of this year: November 2011.


What do I have to say about this piece of news?

"Finally!"

:P

After reading the first three at lightning speed, all within two weeks, I've been fidgeting like a child in a doctor's waiting room, waiting for concrete news on the fourth book. I'm not what I'd label a "fan," but I enjoyed the books and eagerly await the final one. 

By the way, are any of YOU fans? Love the series? Hate it? Don't know what I'm talking about?? Anyone leaping out their seat for joy?? :P

Moving on.....






This was gathered from The Christian Post and Cinematical, the news breaking only yesterday, I believe.

The next Narnia movie in line for production? (And they are planning on making all seven.)

According to Walden Media's president, Michael Flaherty, the next is line is the first.






Yes, boys and girls. The Magician's Nephew.

Here's what Flaherty and The CP had to say:

Flaherty: I love “The Magician's Nephew” because it's a great origins story. You get to learn so much about where the wardrobe came from, where the lamppost came from, where Narnia came from and hopefully we'll get everything together and make that our next one..... We're talking to the estate and to Fox and if those three parties, if we can all agree to move forward, then what we would do is find someone to write the script. So, it could still be a couple of years.

CP: What was your analysis of this and in what ways was the approach to “Voyage of Dawn Treader” different?



Flaherty: ...these books have been out now for over half a century and it gives us a really interesting idea of which stories are really loved. People who love Narnia love all seven stories -I'm one of those kinds of people. But what's interesting is that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe over this period of time sold twice as many books as Prince Caspian and it did twice as much box office. Prince Caspian sold a third of the books as Dawn Treader and did a third of the box office. So while it's not always correlative of books to film, so far with these first three films, it has been. It directly mimics what people's interest has been in the books.
That's another reason beyond the fact that we all think it's a more interesting story and lends itself to a better film.
I'm all for it. Even though Dawn Treader was a minor disappointment for me, I can never stay mad about decent movies for long. 
So, The Magician's Nephew?? Bring it on, man!

Your thoughts, dear friends??


21 comments:

Elanor Lawrence said...

I'm super excited that Inheritance is coming out! I'm not a huge fan of the others, but I will certainly read this.

Why are they making the MN next? It would seem to make logical sense to do SC, especially since they left that nice reference to Jill Pole at the end of DT... Then again, I think MN was actually my favourite, so all's good. I think they may butcher the movie, though... :\

Endor said...

For Narnia.....and for Aslan!

I'm so happy to hear they're planning on making all seven. Can't wait to see what they do with The Last Battle.

Hannah said...

HOW CAN THEY DO THAT??? Eustace will be too old to play in the Silver Chair, and I LOVE Will Poulter being him! AAAAGH! But I am glad that they will be making all seven! Huzzah! And I love the Magician's Nephew...it's just that..............

what about Eustace????!!

Frightening, I know.

Marian said...

The Magician's Nephew and Silver Chair are my top 2 faves, so either one they do next is cool with me! But I'm a little concerned about MN--I just hope they focus on the whimsical, eerie, emotionally epic side of it, and don't try to squeeze in some action scenes (apart from the ones in the book). I also hope Michael Apted is back; he did such an excellent job on Amazing Grace and VODT, IMHO.

Marian said...

BTW, I think Will can still do SC, even if they wait to do that one. I don't think Skandar seemed to have aged a whole lot between PC and VODT, so maybe the age difference won't be too noticeable. :)

Son of the King said...

@ The Director,

Too cool. I have never heard about the "Inheritance", however, from what you have said it sounds quite interesting. I'll be sure to check it out later.

As for the Magician's Nephew, well, that is just wicked, especially with the fact that they are going to make all seven of the movies! I can't wait to see how it turns out when it comes off the press (so to speak).

Thanks for the information, because it certainly gives me some hope about new books and movies!

~Son of the King~

Georgianna Penn said...

My thoughts on Inheritance... I read the first book in the series and wasn't that crazy about it. I've got to be honest, Christopher Paolini didn't impress me. I didn't like the way it was written, I didn't like the story line, I just didn't really like it. That's just me though. ;)

I'm kind of excited about The Magicians Nephew. Then again, each of the Narnia movies have gotten steadily worse in my opinion, so I'm slightly terrified as well. *sigh*

Qui said...

I'm going to post two different reactions.
The first is for Paolini's book: Meh....maybe if he wouldn't have taken so long to write it, I might have been interested, but considering that I couldn't even get through Brisingr because it was so boring....ya.

Now for Narnia: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! As soon as I read that I went downstairs to tell my mom! I LOVE LOVE LOVE NARNIA! I'm so excited that they'll be making the horse and his boy and the last battle!

Dodi said...

Seriously? Wow! i cant wait to see the Magicians Nephew, that one is my favorite, but then again they are all so cool:)
I've never heard of the other book before though.

Joryn said...

In response to Inheritance: It's about time!! He took way too long to get this last book written in my opinion. I also don't consider myself a "fan" of the Inheritance cycle, but I have actually really enjoyed the other books in the series, and I have been looking forward to the conclusion :)

In response to Magician's Nephew: I really don't know. On the one hand I LOOOOVE all the Narnia books, but I am slightly terrified that they might butcher a movie adaptation of Magician's nephew...

Hannah said...

Marian: I dearly hope so! If all goes well--three cheers for the Magician's Nephew! I hope they are creative with it, to say the least. Also--YES! Amazing Grace was SO GOOD!
Georgianna: VODT was definitely the best, in my opinion, so who knows--this one might just be the NEW best! :)

Creative Artist said...

FINALLY!! The first three books aren't on my top-ten list either, but they're okay.
Heh, heh, three awesome things about Inheritance. One, its a green dragon on the front, (my favorite color) two, It's coming out November 2011, perilously close to my birthday, and three, I've got another dragon to draw! I drew the last three covers, but this one will be different... His face is strange, but cool. :D
STRANGE THOUGHT: He looks old. Notice the look of oldness and the bent scales. *wide eyes*
*rubs hands together* Good... The Magician's Nephew!
--Vrenith

Jane said...

Hmm, I tried to read those books. They came off to me as a knock-off of Lord of the Rings, but I didn't get very far in the first one, so I guess I'm not a fair judge.

BTW, The Magician's Nephew is not the first book. It was originally the second to last. It drives me crazy that they changed the book order to be chronological because that's not the way CS Lewis wrote it. I think it's way more cool to start out with LWW because then MN is like a prequel and the audience can put the little things together. (The moment when you realize that the lampost is growing and it's the same lampost is awesome. So is the point when Jadis becomes the White Queen, and suddenly it all connects in your mind.)

I heard someone put it this way; If Star Wars were put in chronological order, half the surprises would be gone. We would watch Anakin grow up to Darth Vader, so when he says "I am your father," there wouldn't be any shock. The audience would just be like, "Duh, we knew that three movies ago."

Anyway, just my opinion. What do you think about it?

The Director said...

@Jane
I read the LWW first, and then after that, I can't remember if I continued the series from there or came back and read MN before going on to H&HB. I was little. But I've always been "exposed," I guess, to the chronological numberings of the series, and even though Lewis wrote them in a different order, I personally like the chronological way.
About the Star Wars comparison: that's only true for the theatrical releases. The later-released trilogy, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith are not considered episodes 4, 5, and 6, and the original trilogy 1, 2, and 3. After the releases they've been put in chronological order.
So really, though, Narnia and Star Wars are no different :]

I really liked reading your comment, by the way.
This is just my opinion ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm more excited than I should be. I've been waiting too loooong.
I really like the series, but I've found a lot of similarities to Star Wars. I learned a lot about Paolini by reading his books.
*leaves to tell Trisiana*

Miriam S. Forster said...

Oh HECK yes!

No one has ever made a movie of that book (I don't think) and the visual possibilities are stunning.

YAY!

The Director said...

Miriam, I know! It's gonna look SO awesome! I hope Weta's on board, anyway.... :P

Jake said...

WOHHHH....I can't believe they're actually doing the Magician's Nephew! XD XD I felt sure they would skip it and skip the Horse and His Boy as well. o_O Next to The Last Battle, the Magician's Nephew is probably my favorite.

Noah Arsenault said...

Hello! I had a question. I am going to be coming to Oregon soon for a choir tour, in the Beaverton area, and Jake said that ye live near there, as does Millard and Miss Yana. Want to meet somewhere? It would be the first week of May.

The Director said...

Hey Noah!!
Hey, what would be amazing! Have you talked to Mil and Yana?? If most of the local bloggys/elves are going to try to get together, then count me in!

Noah Arsenault said...

I've talked with Mill, but not Miss Yana. How do I find her quickly? Does she have a blog?