Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quill Tip Tuesday


Hey guys, it's gonna be short today. Sorry.

The two things I have on my mind at the moment are:


Create a routine for yourself. Write at the same time, every day, if you can. It will help you brain turn on and get into writing mode if it becomes a routine thing. 


Listen to music. Lots of music. Make playlists. Lots of playlists. Music can help get you into writing mode, and help set the mood. I have several different "battle" playlists from when I was writing fantasy, and I find that in writing historical fiction, listening to scores form films set in the same time period helps more than anything. Of course, Owl City is never a bad thing ;) This is the Future, anyone?







7 comments:

Katie said...

I listen to Owl City while I do math every day. The carefree, happy-go-lucky way they have with music keeps me from going crazy and ripping my math book to shreds. :P

Enya, Loreena Mckennitt, and the 'Becoming Jane' soundtrack, are the music tracks I listen to most often while writing. Enya's 'Watermark' is just about the most beautiful song ever, and Loreena Mckennitt's music has such an other-wordly, fantasy, celtic-y feel to it... ^.^

I can't imagine writing without music. :D

The Director said...

YES! Owl City is *perfect* for math. It keeps me in a nice mood XD

I'll have to poke around and find that Becoming Jane soundtrack- sounds good!

Barriss Offee said...

Great post! Music certainly does seem to help with the writing process. =)

-Barriss :-D

Georgianna Penn said...

Yes, yes, yes! Write everyday, listen to music. <3 Owl City and epic battle music... this post may have been short, but it was filled with epicness.

Sarah said...

YAY!!! Someone else who agrees with me! I always listen to music when I write and when I type the stories on the computer. Although I can and will write without music, I like it better with music. Some of my favorite writing cds are:

Point of Grace: How You Live and No Changing Us

BarlowGirl: How Can We Be Silent? (Very good for battle scenes)

Fireflight: For Those Who Wait

Tenth Avenue North: The Light Meets The Dark

Jars of Clay: The Long Fall (Very good for emotional scenes)

Thanks for the tips!
-Lady Sarah the sleep-deprived

Endor said...

I wonder WHY music is so helpful?

Cosette said...

Maybe it just helps because it puts you in the right mood or something?

Having a routine sounds like a really good idea...