Sunday, April 10, 2011

For my Script Frenzy Friends.... (and a question for my readers)



Here's an outside-of-the-home-base procrastination station ;)

If you don't know what Script Frenzy is, it's the sister to the National Novel Writing Month challenge. Instead of writing a 50,000 word long novel in 30 days, you have to write a 100-page script, be it for TV, film, whatever, within the month of April.

Crazy right? I would be doing it too, but I'm still working on my NaNovel from last year, and I have two screenplays in the works right now anyway.

Anyway, Frenziers: (did I just coin a term??)

I found an article on the Writers Guild of America site with a list of 101 Greatest Screenplays. To my knowledge, they aren't exclusively Oscar-nominated screenplays. But my guess is they're just considered very well-written screenplays.
(Disclaimer: I have only seen 2 of the 101 movies included in the list, those being Star Wars and The Princess Bride, and I'm not taking any responsibility for anything offensive found in said screenplays.)
And besides, I don't think the list was so much 101 Greatest Movies and it is Greatest Screenplays.

However, anyone who's interested in reading screenplays (it definitely helps when writing one!), the list has no links to the screenplays, but later in this post I'll have a link list, including some sites where you can read screenplays.

***

Oh, question for the readers... (I now have a poll in the sidebar, just 'cause I want to hear your opinion, but this question is a little more specific.)

I know most of my dear followers are more of the bookish variety than those who are interested in the cinematic variety of storytelling. However, would y'all mind if I post more stuff concerning movies and screenplays and the like? Would I make the lot of you feel extremely lost? Would I be speaking gibberish to you? Or, would screenplay/movie talk be useful/handy/helpful to anyone? Let me know in the comments, please!

***



Okay, back to my Script Frenzy friends. Here's some linkage:


Click here for the link to the WGA 101 Greatest Screenplays list.

The following are links to screenplay sites, in no particular order:


SimplyScripts.com (This link goes straight to movies scripts, but at the top of the page are links to other types of scripts. Click on the name of the film to read the script.)

Daily Script  (Again, this link goes straight to movie scripts. Click the name of the film to read the script.)

Internet Movie Script Databse (IMSDb) (This link goes to the homepage. It's a very large script database. You can scroll through films, and to get to the script, click on the movie title, then on the following info page, look for the link that says, "Read {movie name} Script."

***

Whew! All that linkage was exhausting :P

Lemme know if you find other sites that are better-- I'd love to know about them!

Alright, hope that was helpful folks. Don't forget to check out the poll in my sidebar :)

10 comments:

Georgianna Penn said...

Awesome script sight, thanks for sharing, I've been wanting to read some more screenplays.

As for posting more movie/screenplay stuff, that would rock! Then again, I'm into that as much as I am books, so maybe I'm not the one to ask. ;)

Endor said...

As an aspiring actress, I would find your movie/screenplay posts fascinating. :)

I read the Star Wars screenplays for fun. I found it interesting.

Marian said...

I'd love to hear more about screenwriting! :) Thanks for the links, too--I'm going to have to read the LOTR scripts one of these days...

Joryn said...

Yay for a new post! I know it's only been like a week since you last posted, but your post's are just so awesome that it seems like it's been awhile...

I totally love learning about movie making from you, especially cause I can tell you love it :) so, I would love more movie posts if you wanna do more!!

Jane said...

Here is the link to a blueprint of the Falcon. THe bathroom is referred to as the "head" and it's in between a set of triple bunks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/TNmKubG0CGI/AAAAAAAAOW8/hQO_im7JYLo/s1600/Millenium%2Bblueprints.jpg

Cosette said...

I agree, movie stuff would be really neat. Thanks for sharing those sites, they're great! :D

Joryn said...

Woh! Have you never seen "it's a wonderful life"?????? Cause that was definitely in the list of 101 great screenplays, and you said you've only seen two of the movies on the list- star wars and princess bride. I can't believe that you've not seen it...it's like, an awesome classic Christmas movie... (00)

Barriss Offee said...

Cool, I might eventually read the Star Wars screenplay when I have more time. =)


I think more posts on movies/screenplays would be very interesting.

-Barriss :-D

Noah Arsenault said...

I wouldn't mind seeing more movie/screenwriting stuff :D

Leia Firewalker said...

I was thinking about doing Script Frenzy, but changed my mind. ;)

-Leia <3