Tuesday, April 19, 2011

In which I read a book to be knowledgeable about a movie...


Anybody else read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins??

I recently finished reading the very first book of the trilogy.

My goodness, it was good. {review coming soon}

I had previously read another series by Collins, "The Underland Chronicles," and I enjoyed those very, very much.

I had heard about The Hunger Games, but hadn't quite brought myself to read them yet.

Then I started hearing movie buzz, casting choices, etc., etc., etc.

Oh my! They're talking movies now! It's about time I'm in the know, by golly!

So, I bought the book, read the book, loved the book.

Now I can be a top authority on the upcoming films.

*chuckles*

I'll get an in-depth review to y'all soon, but here's a brief thing on The Hunger Games:

It takes place in a futuristic version of North America, where the world we know is mere ruins, and the land is now called Panem, which is a mercilessly ruled empire. There are 12 districts, and to keep the districts under control, every year two tributes are chosen from each district, one boy and one girl, to participate in a fight to the death known as the Hunger Games. Our main character, Katniss Everdeen, volunteers as tribute to save her younger sister. Things get complicated from there as a romantic relationship starts to evolve between her and the other District 12 tribute, Peeta Mellark, which certainly hampers things when you realize they're going to have to kill each other later.

While violent, I didn't find the book to be as graphic as I felt other readers made it out to be. It definitely earns it's PG-13 rating for the upcoming movies, though some people have said that to depict it properly it would need an R rating.

But I digress.

Anyhow, is there anyone else at least mildly interested in The Hunger Games? Looking forward to the movie? Because like everybody else and their dog, I am starting to have opinions about the growing cast list, but I don't want to post about that if none of you actually care ;)

(Seriously, though! They've already cast three whole districts, and I'm worried about their choice for Peeta..... but I think Rue and Glimmer were cast perfectly. :P I'll stop talking now.)


So please, speak up! I want to hear your opinion :D

11 comments:

Jedi~Chick said...

I need to read these books. I do not like watching a movie if the book came out first. :P So I'd better get to reading!

Actually, my cousin owns the trilogy and loved it, so I shouldn't have any problems borrowing the books. :)

Lauren said...

I absolutely loved this book. But I read it a loooooong time ago, when it first came out, and it actually makes me feel just the tiniest bit nauseous to think of them turning it into a movie. I mean, I really loved Twilight when it first came out, and even before I decided I was done with vampire/werewolf fiction, I'd given up on Twilight because of the movie and how people just hopped onto the whole Twilight bandwagon. It may sound terrible, but I just love this book so much, and don't want it to be another Twilight! Plus, I personally thought the Twilight movie was horrible...sooo yeah. There's my rant! Ha ;)

Amaranthine said...

I need to read these books....!

Joryn said...

Ooo, looking forward to an in depth review! I've heard a lot of conflicting things about these books, and I'd definitely like to get our opinion :)

They already sound pretty cool though, I must say ;)

Miss Eyebright said...

I too would love to get a good opinion on this book. Not that the other opinions that I've read haven't been good, it just seems odd to me that so many people would be interested in a book on this subject. So yes, an in-depth review will definitely be looked forward to!

Endor said...

I also need to read those books.....

Polka Dot said...

I'm planning on doing the exact same thing--reading the books because of the movies. :) Glad to hear you thought they were good! I hadn't gotten a very trusted recommendation yet. :)

Josiphine said...

Oh! I love your quote at the top of the page! Haha!

Georgianna Penn said...

I've heard of the books, but haven't actually read them yet. I'll have to add them to my to-read list. I'm like you, if they're making a movie, I want to be in the know. ;)

Vrenith said...

Sorry to inturrupt your epic post...

I tagged ye here with the Stylish Blogger Award. Kind of sudden, I know. ;) And you don't have to do it.

http://drawingsanonymous.blogspot.com/

--Vrenith

Manny said...

Hiya The Director-
I tagged you on my blog!

http://crazy-pie-randomness.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-award-catching-up.html

The instructions are in the post. Have fun!

-Manny (Vrenith and Jake's sister)