Monday, June 20, 2011

In Which I Discover the Awesomeness of Charcoal Pencils


I appear to have a sudden spurt of blogging inspiration. :]

Anyway, I'm here to share with you a little secret......

I love to draw.

That doesn't mean I'm good at it, though. But I love, love, LOVE to draw- faces, particularly. They make me really happy.

I'm sure looking at my creations doesn't make anyone else happy, though. They look terrible most of the time.

Anyhow, I recently became interested in using charcoal pencils.

See, I have been reading a completely amazing series that stole my heart, called The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme. It's like Narnia and LOTR and Prydain all mixed together with a semi-sci-fi feel, even though the book isn't actually... um.... sci-fi. :P

Anyway, it's a really amazing series. (Review coming soon.....)

I've been so inspired and captured by the books that I...... *gulp* ...... drew some of the characters.

I don't know WHY I did, but we had a little lull in the history reading during school one day, and on the lined notebook paper that I was supposed to be taking notes on, I drew a face.

It looked like a character from the book. Sort of.

I continued drawing.

Pretty soon, I had a face that I felt looked pretty similar to the character Amariel, who is a merrow (basically a mermaid, but totally awesome).

I moved my pencil down to the lower third of the paper and drew another face.

It kind of looked like another character, Char. He's NOT a merrow. Just plain ol' human, but he totally rocks. :]

Thus encouraged and very excited by drawing someone else's characters so successfully (at least I felt so), I have been setting myself to the task of drawing the entire cast.

That almost rhymed.

Did you catch that? Task and cast. They almost..... no? Fine.

Anyhoo and fibber-o-loo, after all that drawing with a Ticonderoga Number Two pencil, I started itching for some charcoal pencils, because shading and all that looking realistic business just comes easier that way ;)

I found two softs and a medium around the house-- but the only suitable paper was watercolor paper. Haha..... the texture and grooves in the paper were very deep. But I would work with it until I could get my hands on proper charcoal paper.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you some of my very, very amateur creations using charcoal pencils. I'll save the Ven Polypheme drawing for another post.

The first is only a small part of a face. I only had room to draw that much-- the rest of the paper was covered in more hideous sketches ;)



I like the eye.

I drew this next person without outlining it beforehand-- and I couldn't find my charcoal pencil eraser so I couldn't fix anything.... *looks sheepish* 'Tis not very good, but whatever... I had fun shading him. My fingers were completely black because I didn't make a stub.

:P

Terrible drawing. Told you.

My fourth drawing (yes, I'm not showing you number three and number one...) is the one I'm most proud of so far. 

And it's actually not a person, oddly enough ;)

My proportions are completely out of whack, and my tree is a wreck.

But besides that, I didn't think it looked too bad.

Oh yeah-- and the houses are shameful....... and my grass doesn't look that great, and, and and.....

-_-

I'll stop making excuses-- here's the picture:



It's not too bad, right?

Detail on castle:


Detail on person:


The birds flying around over the sea make me kind of happy...



Anyway, that was just a little piece of randomness from my life ;) Now you know why it takes me forever to finish math..... I start sketching. Can't help it. Drawing beats 6 + (xy + 3x) - (-y (23z) 14) = 0 any day.

*looks at conjured up math problem*

I don't even think that equation works.......

Ah, well. Catch you folks later :D

21 comments:

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

You think THOSE are bad? Fine. Don't listen to me. Think what you will.

At least they're better than that one drawing... You know the one.

Seriously though. I wish I could draw like that. At least I can compose...

~Miss Raquel said...

Nice, girlie! Those turned out great!

And yup, I love charcoal pencils too!! :)

Qui said...

I think your eye looks really good! :D
I love to draw too. Even though I'm not too good at it either. My recent obsession is drawing Hunger Games characters. I'm practically incapable of drawing guys though.

Jane said...

You are a much better artist than I will ever be! I think you have talent, and I want to see more.

Jake said...

Hmph. No use fibbing, lass. You are quite good. :|

I'm limited to designs, swords, and stick figures. ^_^

I liked the castle. (: I really liked it.

Amaranthine said...

You're actually pretty good at it! And I mean it! For realz!

I'll put those books on my list.

Creative Artist said...

Ah, come on, Director! These look great. They beat any humans I can do...

And the landscape, however you think it looks out of whack, looks epic! I mean, the castle and I can't do, and the landscape and such. :P
All I'm able to do are dragons and horses.

So, to sum it up, you're rather good, Director.

--Vrenith

The Director said...

@EFC
Don't even bring it up... bwahahahaha..... :P

@Miss Raquel
Thanks! Charcoal pencil users UNITE! XD

@Qui
Hey, cool! HG characters must be fun, I bet.

@Jane
Aw, you're sweet! I'll post my Ven Polypheme character pics soon :)

@Jake
Many thanks to you, Sir Jake. I bet you draw some pretty rockin' swords, though.

@Amaranthine
You make me smile. For realz ;)

The Director said...

@Vrenith
You're very sweet- I appreciate it considering what a renowned artist you are. :]

Be glad that you can draw dragons-- I'm not joking (all my friends will tell you) my dragons look like dying horses whoa re trying to do gymnastics or something else terrible...... honestly.

You are quite talented yourself, dear ;) I still stand in awe of your prowess with a pencil and paint... or whatever :)

Josiphine said...

I hate it when talented people say they can't draw -_- It makes me feel even less talented.

Anyway, you are really good! I especially love that last picture. Would you care if I used it for a book cover?

The Director said...

@Josiphine
I only look talented because I'm only showing my extremely good drawings..... which are few and far between ;)
I would be flattered if you used that picture! Do you need it larger? Anyway, take it with my blessing (I would love to see the book cover if you do use it!).

Barriss Offee said...

Wow, your drawings came out really well! They look great!

I can only draw cartoon people and some Star Wars characters. Well, the Star Wars characters tend to look very cartoon-ish. I make their heads WAY too big.


-Barriss =)

Eyebright said...

Oh, I think those are beautiful! I especially like the castle scene. I love castles, and I think that yours has such "scope for the imagination"! :)

Eldra said...

Amazing. Have you ever taken lessons? If not, you should really consider it. You most definitely have natural talent.

Hannah Joy said...

Ugh. I agree, Josiphine. I have called myself at least somewhat of an artist all my life, and I'm still not that great. :-P I try people, but I am terrible at noses. I try landscapes, but I can't get the perspective right. :-P But, knowing me, I'll probably keep trying till the end of my days. ;-)

Katie said...

The eye, the eye! I have a weakness for eyes photographed or drawn well, and that is a most beautiful eye. *nods emphatically in all her strange and nerdy splendour!*

Your drawings are beautiful, my friend. Don't go telling yourself otherwise. ;)

Josiphine said...

I know how to make it larger (but it might be the right size already).

Thank you! I'll post a link to it once it's finished.

Josiphine said...

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/f4c463ade3eb1aee49316764d3d3fda1.jpg

^That's the cover. The picture was so perfect I didn't do anything except slap a title and author on there, :D

Thank you so much!

The Director said...

Wow! That looks pretty cool :) Glad I could be of service :D

Is Iris J. Nolre your pen name or something? Sounds awesome.

Creative Artist said...

Ah, thanks, Director. :) But really, they are epic. I can't seem to draw correctly if the paper is small, so when I paint, I prefer larger canvases. :)

And really, I'm not renowned at all. :) I'm known to about probably fifty people in my whole life. XD

Great pictures!

--Vrenith

Josiphine said...

Yep, Josiphine isn't actually my real name, and Iris Nolre is my pen name. The J stands for Josiphine.

Although, all three names have a special significance.

Which is way more info than you wanted, sorry!