Monday, August 8, 2011

Let's Review, Shall We??


Abby's Bucket List (so far):

  • visit New Zealand
  • proficiently do tricks on a skateboard
  • have a Star Wars Saga Marathon
  • Meet S. Spielberg, P. Jackson, G. Lucas, P. Weir, and K. Bigelow. All directors.
  • hunt with a peregrine falcon
  • visits castles/ruins in England and Wales
  • work on a movie with Jamie Bell
  • see fireflies
  • play in an orchestra
*grins*

Yes, I got to see fireflies. In fact, I caught one and examined him closely in the palm of my hand for a second before releasing back into the wild blue yonder. They look kinda like earwigs. (OO)

In case you haven't noticed, I am back from the land of hot and humid ;) It was a fun trip and oddly enough, the very first vacation I've ever taken that we took just for vacation. No relatives to visit, nowhere to go, nowhere to be, no one to see. We just went sightseeing and met new people :D

I saw an increase in:
-heat
-churches (not surprising)
-and tattoos (very surprising)

Speaking of which, here's a random and possibly amusing factoid:

I actually saw more people with tattoos in Missouri than I did here in the suburbs around Portlandia. :P I mean, just standing in the middle of Wal-Mart and watching people go by, I would say that almost every individual 17-18ish and older had a tattoo. Anyway. I know Portland is like the center of piercings and tattoos, and I would certainly say that I didn't see any crazy piercings in MO, but yeah, lotsa tattoos.

Random observation. :P

Also, I saw an emu (for real!) and many armadillo.

Unfortunately, all the armadillo were dead.

On the side of the road.

Roadkilled armadillo.

:P

Our joke is that they defected from Texas but got massacred.

But the Missourians assure us that their suffering is self-inflicted. Apparently their reaction to cars or whatever is to jump in the air.

I guess that gets you deaded. (OO)

However, it was a very fun, blessed trip and I would love to go there again someday :D Despite the dead armadillo.

Did you guys go anywhere this summer???

20 comments:

Josiphine said...

I went to Ecuador, :)

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

I'm, as you know, at my grandparents' house. Apparently they got a ton of rain here the other day (as in super duper downpour for a solid half an hour) and since the ground was so parched it was pooling up all over the place. It left some really neat designs in the dust. We'll be observing the meteor shower while we're here since there's really no extra light around here.

Hannah Joy said...

*Sigh* I went nowhere except to the State tourney of my brother's baseball. Which was a fun, but stressful vacation. :-) Glad you had fun!

Hannah Joy said...

Abby, I know this is off-subject, but have you ever read the 100 Cupboards series by N.D. Wilson? I love them, and Wilson is coming out with a new series!!! I'm so excited! He also made a trailer for it with the kid from Super 8 in it, so if you want to watch it, here's the link!

http://www.ashtownburials.com/

Sorry, I'm just really psyched. And I wanted to share it! :-)

Jess said...

♪ You would not believe your eyes, if ten million fireflies lit up the world as I fell asleep ♪

As for vacation, ditto to Hannah. (Isn't it great being a sister and not having to explain everything yourself?)

The Director said...

Coo, y'all! :D

Hannah Joy- I;ve read the first two, and have the third but other books have been more pressing ;) I like them but I'm not crazy over them.
Thanks for the link- for a book trailer, that wasn't bad at all :]

Jake said...

I don't know HOW you people up north can make it without fireflies. It's almost a tradition down here to catch fireflies and let them light up your room at night from a jar (with holes poked in the top, of course).

The Director said...

@Jake
Aw! Well, when you don't have them, you don't miss them :P

Hannah Joy said...

Oh, I should mention I absolutely ADORE the "Keep Calm" thingy. Previously, my favorite of those was "Keep Calm and Fake a British Accent" but the Rum one cracks me up.

The Director said...

Heh, thanks! A friend had it in a post and I had to steal it ;)

Kerilynn said...

I finally figured out how to follow your blog!!! Ive been trying for forever now, but I was signed in as my dad, and I couldnt figure out how to unsign him if you know what I mean:P
any ways I love your blog:)
Kerilynn

The Director said...

Aaawwww! Thank you! You made my day <3

Näna said...

Hey, Abbey!

Stopping by from your Mom's blog. Mostly because I was thrilled that someone else out there loves contemporary film composers (read: John Williams, James Horner, Henry Gregson Williams).

Oh, yeah...I'd *love* to meet those people on your bucket list. Steven Spielberg! Awesome. Have you heard about his new TinTin movie coming out? I've been hoping for years someone would make one and I'm way psyched out about it. :)

Anyway, nice to meet you.

Blessings,
Näna

The Director said...

It's great to "meet" you too! :D Haha, you and I can meet Stephen together ;)

Also, I blog about the upcoming Tintin movie all the time- I'm stoked beyond belief :D :D :D

Anyway, thank you for your sweet comment! <3

Hannah Joy said...

TINTIN RULES!!! We watch the trailer almost daily because it is so incredibly awesome. Is that geeky?

We've liked Tintin from forever since my dad liked it as a kid...and then there's the movie coming out about it? Spielberg? Can you say Epic? :-D

There's something already in the trailer that just reeks of Tintin-ness.

Sorry...that was a geeky comment.

Millardthemk said...

Sounds like quite a time! I was in MO in April and noticed some other things, but not the tats. Interesting.....

I actually got on to comment on The Eagle soundtrack I'm listening to. So far so good :)

The Director said...

@Hannah
Heh, you are hilarious :) Don't mind.

@Millard
Heh, too funny! And actually, that's awesome that you like the soundtrack~ I've been listening to it online but have been DYING to but the CD :D
Return of the Eagle is one of the best tracks, yes?

Millardthemk said...

Yes, it is one of the best, definitely. :D I'm trying to find some soundtracks for writing. Not liking LOTR..at all. Too eh..heavy I guess with the music. But Return of the Eagle is just about the perfect mix )

The Director said...

*thumbs up* Awesome! What kind of music do you lean toward when writing??

Some other kind out of the ordinary soundtracks that I like are the Treasure Planet soundtrack, Nicholas Nickleby (more Victorian/Classical ish), and Dear Wendy- which, actually, is a super "weird" sounding score but oddly addicting... O_o

Cosette said...

It's good to know my dad isn't the only one who says "Deaded". ;D