Monday, August 1, 2011

Red Rackham Stays in the Backstory!

So, the truth at last!!


This ends my speculation of Red Rackham being a present villain and the backstory all but gone. That's what I thought- that the Unicorn backstory wouldn't be so personal with Haddock and that Red Rackham would be the main villain. But it turns out Ivan Ivanovitch is our bad guy.


Check this out from the summary of Tintin at Comic Con:

...Spielberg, Jackson and the various screenwriters combined bits and pieces of the two 
books (The Secret of the Unicorn and The Crab With The Gold Claws)--among other things increasing the villainy of the film's nemesis Ivan Ivanovitch Sakharine (the character Daniel Craig plays, as opposed to the previously reported pirate Red Rackham)--together with some elements from 'Unicorn's' sequel "Red Rackham's Treasure" to create the film's eventual story though much of "Red Rackham" was set aside for Tintin 2.   



That was a shock to my system at first, for sure. However, it only increases my excitement to see what they did with it.

I'm all for it, frankly. The Tintin stories don't require an accurate plot adaption- it just requires the same tone and spirit as the books- the same unique seriousness and slapstick combined, accuracy to the characters of course, and the accurate visual representation to be a success in my eyes. They can whip the story into something completely different as long as it stays "realistic".

Also, it seems the relationship between Haddock and Tintin has taken a more serious and deeper tone with the film. I hope that that will enhance the story, not ruin it. Here's what Andy Serkis, aka Captain Haddock, has to say:

“It’s a bizarre relationship,” he said. “Tintin is this young, driven reporter with a very strong moral compass. He’s 16 years old. And basically, Haddock is unable to move forward as a human being. Eventually he begins to, as he becomes more lucid about his past, and Tintin is drawing a kind of story out of him. Haddock becomes quite affectionate towards Tintin.”





What do you think?

3 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

What do I think??? F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!! I think they will do an amazing job, and I agree, they don't have to be total stickers to the plot/storyline of the books. Haddock relationship? YES! I think it'll be GREAT!

*Sigh* For once I'm wishing summer would come and go, and December would roll along! ;-)

And I love that picture. I would make it my desktop background if I didn't have my little brother playing catcher as it.

Everyone's Favorite Composer said...

That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to see it!!!

And I TOLD you Tintin was young! He's hardly older than me!

The Director said...

heehee.