Thursday, August 25, 2011

You Know You're a Filmmaker-In-Training/Movie GEEK When...



  • While watching a movie you sit and stare at the screen, muttering, "Now why on earth would you use an aerial shot there?!"
  • You're almost always five scenes ahead in whatever movie you're watching.
  • You give people the death glare if they leave the theater before the credits are done.
  • Half the time you're eyeing people and wondering how photogenic they are and whether they would screen test for you or not.
  • When there are fight scenes, you watch the main character closely to see if he's really a stunt double.
  • During a "landscape shot" you try and figure out how much is actually CGI or layered over.
  • During dead serious/intense scenes you wonder if the actors burst out laughing the second the director yelled CUT.
  • Obvious wigs that shouldn't be obvious make you really upset.
  • Overdone sound mixing will leave you grumbling in a fit of smoldering anger for days.
  • During complicated cinematography moments your eyebrows furrow two miles into your head as you try to imagine how they did it so you can do it too.
  • You have a list of actors you want to work with.
  • You have a list of producers you want to work with.
  • You have a list of directors you want to work with.
  • You have a list of all the screenplays you are going to write in the next 12 years.
  • All you want for Christmas is a soundstage. XD
  • A rifle mic would bring great joy.
  • Your little sister is slated to be the main star in your next ten shorts.
  • Half the time you watch a movie just so you can appreciate the bonus features.
  • The words "That was BRILLIANT EDTING!" are not uncommon.
  • You want to go to Tunisia just because part of Star Wars was shot there. 
  • You quote bonus features almost more than the actual movie.
  • You make a list like this. *headdesk*
Oy. *chuckles*

Inspired by this lovely girl's post. No, it's not a tag or a giveaway obligation or anything. Just a bug you might end up catching :D


6 comments:

Georgianna Penn said...

Ha! This cracked me up! Mind if I add a few?
-You go to a movie with some people and they tell your parents "you've got a young film critic on your hands" by the time you get home.
-Your own brother gets frustrated with you because you're constantly telling him "fight scenes shouldn't make a movie."
-You tell other people to stop talking while watching a movie, then keep up a commentary about how you would have done it through the entire thing.

The Director said...

Oh my gosh !!!!!
Especially the last one XD XD XD Seriously. I forgot about that one :P

Elanor Lawrence said...

Lol. I'm not a filmmaker at all, but this still amused me. :) You can make the movies for my books sometime. :)

Hannah Joy said...

HAHA! You crack me up. I'm no filmmaker (I wish I was, but no...) but I guess I am a bit of a movie geek. Particularly the part about the bonus features and the laughing after the director yells CUT! I know thousands of times we watch movies and my older brother says in some serious moment, "What if he just started dancing to techno music, right about now?" It never fails to crack me up. :-)

Kayla said...

A lot of those sound familiar!

Corey P. said...

Hahahaha! That was awesome. :D I'm not a filmmaker myself, but I enjoy watching and critiquing movies, so I can attest to the truth of many of the points on your list! LOL!