Wednesday, October 26, 2011

In Which I Undertake a Foolhardy Challenge




It's Beautiful People time again! Only this month, a huge challenge was issued to answer every single question from all the archives, AND this month's questions.


Being the awesome, er, crazy person I am, I accepted the challenge. 


Read this post for the complete scoop. :) 


Or just read on and be amazed at my insanity and brain-frying formatting. 


***********************************************

March 2011
  • What is their full name? Dantere (Ben-Kyen) Tilchaest
  • Does his or her name have a special meaning? Not really, to be honest   -_-
  • Does your character have a methodical or disorganized personality? Oh, very methodical :D
  • Does he or she think inside themselves more than they talk out loud to their friends? (more importantly, does he or she actually have friends?) It's not that he doesn't converse. He just doesn't invest emotionally with other people. 
  • Is there something he or she is afraid of? Failure. And having people see the real him. 
  • Does he or she write, dream, dance, sing, or photograph? He paints....! XD
  • What is his or her favorite book? (or genre of books) I think I said this last time too: History books. They're the only ones around :)
  • Who is his or her favorite author and/or someone that inspires him or her? He is pretty inspired by: his foster father and his uncle. (Not foster-uncle; real uncle.)
  • Favorite flavor of ice cream? Theoretically here: *whispers to Dantere* *makes weird face like this: o_O* Apparently he likes, or would like, chocolate caramel..... *makes weird face again* You're so random!
  • Favorite season of the year? Egh. When he lived in Caltiland he liked Autumn best but once he goes home again he likes summer. Woh. Didn't see that coming... 

April 2011
  • How old is he/she? At the start of the story? Eleven and a half. 
  • What does he/she do with his/her spare time? Paints, takes care of his little sister and brother, and tries not to get sick. (More on that later, maybe.)
  • Does he/she see the big picture or live in the moment? Oh, he's a bit of a big-picture guy, actually. 
  • Is he/she a perfectionist? Not extremely. 
  • What does her handwriting look like? (round, slanted, curly, skinny, sloppy, neat, decorative, etc.) Pretty fancy, looks very calligraphy-ish, elongated and pretty :)
  • Favorite animal? *chokes* Uh, he has a favorite?? 
  • Does he/she have any pets? Nope. 
  • Does he/she have any siblings? How many? Where does he/she fit in? Oldest of three, youngest is his foster brother though. 
  • Does he/she have a 'life verse' and if so what is it? If I find one for him later I will let you know. 
  • Favorite writing utensil? Reed quill/pen thingywajahoober. 

May 2011
  • What type of laugh does he/she have? You know, I've never actually thought about it. He's got a nice laugh, not loud, but pretty hearty. He giggles a bit though, like the little chuckles you get when you are having a private joke with yourself. 
  • Who is his/her best friend? His sister. And Velyaran, I think. He's an Azeleyan, more on him later, maybe. 
  • What is his/her family like? Er, dead? -_- Well, besides said sister. 
  • Is he/she a Christian, or will he/she eventually find Jesus? Sorry, wrong galaxy ;) I'm sure you've noticed, they don't live on our world. 
  • Does he/she believe in fairies? No belief needed, they're a certified race :D
  • Does he/she like hedgehogs? They don't exist in Verria as far as I know, I'm afraid. 
  • Favorite kind of weather? Calm, clear, and sunny, but not hot. 
  • Does he/she have a good sense of humor? If so what kind? (Slapstick, wit, sarcasm, etc.?) I think I still have to teach him what that word means, actually..... 
  • How did he/she do in school, or any kind of education they might have had. Did very well, was pretty much the top of his class Had high education as a child, like the lower levels of royalty-type education. 
  • Any strange hobbies? Strange hobbies? No. Just painting and playing with rope. 

June 2011
  • What kind of music does he/she like? He doesn't have a strong musical opinion. Nothing too fast or chaotic though. 
  • Does he/she like to go outside? He does enjoy being out of doors. 
  • Is he/she naturally curious? Not greatly, but he can be. 
  • Right, or left handed? He might actually be left handed! I don't know yet. 
  • Favorite color? He looks good in dark greens, but I think he likes this one shade of red a lot..... *smacks Dantere* Go back to where you came from, you! I'm the writer! *growls*
  • Where is he/she from? Kingdom of Trenbourn, specifically the capitol, Kyen. 
  • Any enemies? Plenty, but he doesn't know about them yet. 
  • What are his/her quirks? Okay, this will probably make NO sense, but he has a particular gift (or curse, he might tell you) called the Sight, and he can see a lot of things that other people can't. 
Like Elijah the prophet, in 1 Kings I think, where he asks the Lord to open the eyes of his servant, so that the servant could see the hosts of heaven all around the city? Yeah, that. So, Dantere can basically see what the servant was allowed to see, except translated into my own fantasy universe, almost continually since he was about nine years old. It's reeeeeeeeeeeally cool...... 
  • What kinds of things get on his/her nerves? Last minutes changes of plan. 
  • Is he/she independent, or needs others to help out? He can do almost anything on his own, but he particularly likes being part of a team. 

July 2011
  • What is his/her biggest secret? That he has the Sight. 
  • Has he/she ever been in love? Not yet!
  • What is his/her comfort food? Doesn't have one, doesn't think he needs one. Maybe it'll end up being soup..... 
  • Does he/she play a musical instrument? If so, what? Fail, Dantere, FAIL!!! You play nothing!!! *thrusts violin at him*
  • What colour are his/her eyes? Hair? Eyes: grey, but they can look grey-green, or oddly enough, brown. Sometimes, very rarely, they look blue. 
  • Hair? Dark, dark brown. Like chocolate. 
  • Does he/she have any pets? Didn't we already go over this??
  • What is his/her favorite place to be? Anywhere he's accepted. 
  • What are some of his/her dreams or goals? He wants to be exactly like his father was. 
  • Does he/she enjoy sports? Oh, yes. 
  • What is his/her favorite flower or plant? Dantere! Get over here! *whispers* Okay, apparently he likes some flower called Syliph-Tear. 
Gosh, man, I'm separating you and Chance, he's teaching you too many of his "let's poke around the author's brain" tricks! *rubs forehead*

August 2011
  • What is their biggest accomplishment? By the end of the first book..... I don't know. Being okay with who he is and what he's been given, possibly, though that struggle never really ends for him...
  • What is one of their strongest childhood memories? The night when his home was attacked. Fire, and very loud noises and scary, massive black things dominate that memory/nightmare. 
  • What is their favorite food? I think he likes soup, but that's not set in concrete. 
  • Do they believe in love at first sight? Ask  him in a few years, he's only eleven, jeez...
  • What kind of home do they live in? At the beginning of the story: a little palace. In the middle? Wherever he can find a place to sleep. At the end? A construction site, of sorts. 
  • What do they like to wear? Practical is first, but he likes to look nice, though not enough to stand out excessively. 
  • What would they do if they discovered they were dying? Get upset because of the short term notice. And then deal with it. 
  • What kind of holidays, or traditions do they celebrate? Oh please, I haven't gotten that far into the worldbuilding yet! I'll know when I write it. 
  • What do your other characters have to say about them? Depends. If you really want to know... 
Keziren: "He's my brother! I love him." 
Velyaran: "What a kid." 
Corugen: "He makes me think of his father." (No, really?) 
Haenar: "Dantere Tilchaest. He is but a child, no matter his sire. And I am not going to let a scraggly band and an infant destroy everything I have done!" *reaches for sword*

Uh oh, let's get outta here... *shoves Haenar back into manuscript*
  • If they could change one thing in their world, what would it be? He would probably want to rid the world of any sort of evil wizardry. But that's a fuzzy conclusion... 

September 2011

  • Do they have any habits, annoying or otherwise? Er, getting sick to his stomach? Just kidding... sort of....
  • What is their backstory and how does it affect them now? See this post. 
  • How do they show love? He doesn't. He is actually pretty freaked at the thought of emotionally connecting with people, as a general rule. 
  • How competitive are they? Extremely. 
  • What do they think about when nothing else is going on? Again, this post. 
  • Do they have an accent? Slightly Canadian I think. 
  • What is their station in life? A Guardian-In-Training. 
  • What do others expect from them? To basically step up and take his father's place as the head of the Guardians, or at least be the rallying symbol for the people- something no twelve year old should be asked. o_O
Actually, though, because he's an untrained infant, as it were, at the beginning, they merely take him along with their rebellion against the bad guys because the thought of the head Guardian's son being among the revolters would rally the people. He doesn't really do much but try and keep up though, poor boy. 
  • Where were they born, and when? Like I said before: born in Kyen, at a very young age ;)
  • How do they feel about people in general? He likes people, he really does. Just as long as things stay superficial. *rubs hands gleefully* Dantere, you have no idea what's coming! Superficial, my foot. 
 And, last but not least, this month's:
    • Sum up your novel in five words or less. Epic and awesome, I hope. 
    • Novel title? Come back in ten years. (Update: the working title is "The King's Half-Brother" but that's only there as a space filler right now.)
    • Sum up your main character(s) in one word each. Dantere: Burdened. Keziren: Sweetheart. Rethuban: Old. Velyaran: Rash. (And bonus, a word for the villain!) Haenar: Misunderstanding. 
    • Advice for newbies in three words? To NaNo? Don't freak out.
    • Tell us about your secondary characters, how do they affect the story? They sweep Dantere off his feet, throw him places he doesn't want to be (but are good for him, in a roundabout way) and do things that are awesome. Affective, I say :]
    • Do you plan to stay up till midnight on the 31st? NaNo aside, I probably will anyway.... 
    • How many years have you done NaNo? Only did it last year. *hangs head in shame*
    • What came first, characters, or plot idea? The plot by about 30 seconds, if we're talking about the very first point of origin..... otherwise, if you're talking about this particular version of the story: I don't know. (Now there's conviction for you!)
    • How much prep do you do before November? As much as I can. 
    • Now be honest, how do you really feel about NaNo? I love it, truly. :D Schoolwork is the one thing in my way. 

    16 comments:

    Corey P. (the Ink Slinger) said...

    "Schoolwork is the one thing in my way."

    Funny how that always manages get in the way of other, more interesting projects... ;-)

    The Director said...

    No really, huh? XD

    Amaranthine said...

    Dantere sounds interesting! I really wish you could do NaNo. :'(

    Your names do seem a bit..overexotic though XD.

    I'm no one to talk though. :P

    <333333333 Skype this saturday?

    The Director said...

    Oh, really? *is extremely curious* Which names (and how) are too exotic?

    I'll email you about Skyoe ;)

    Georgianna Penn said...

    Ha! You did all of them. That's awesome. So, did you learn a lot about your character? Would you say you're glad you did it? Would you do it for more characters? Questions, questions, questions. ;)

    Hannah Joy said...

    I love it when you do these!

    The Director said...

    *laughs* Hi Georgie ;)

    Okay, honest assessment here: I didn't learn anything groundbreaking, but a few little details here and there (if you've read my "archetype" post, you know why). However, I'm very glad I did it :D And of course, I would do it for more characters.

    Which makes me wonder, maybe I should re-do this challenge once a month with a new character each time! :D


    Thanks Hannah Joy!

    The Musical Dancer said...

    How much time did this take you? By the way this is Helen. I don't have a blog yet, but I started my account. :) My computer isn't allowing me to upload a picture though. :(

    The Musical Dancer said...

    How does this look? I downloaded picassa. :D

    The Director said...

    It took me a couple days, not too long because I had answered half of them before ;)

    I like your profile pic! :D :D :D

    Hannah Joy said...

    Helen! Tell me when your blog is up! I will follow it! :-)

    The Musical Dancer said...

    Yup! I will. :D Should be soon.

    The Musical Dancer said...

    It's up. :D http://thelifeofamusiciananddancer.blogspot.com/

    Hannah Joy said...

    Yay! I checked it out! I will definitely be reading it even if I can't officially "follow" it. So cool, Helen!

    Spook said...

    COME DO NANO YOU NUTCASE! You can't leave that lovely character floating in the nether space!

    The Director said...

    *cracks up*

    Spook, I love you.

    But never fear! He's not floating around- I've already started his novel :D

    I already know how his story's going to play out to a degree, and I REALLY don't want to mess it up by spewing things out during NaNo. I would do it with any other novel but this one! :P

    (Besides, I still have to finish my story from last year's NaNo...... *gulps*)