Friday, October 14, 2011

A Wee Little Something...


(I've been so tickled by these that from now on, to preface most posts I think I'm going to put a random one of these up. Exception: reviews and possibly movie news. Found at Thingswealldo.tumblr)


On the subject of #3 of the things we all do, I'm on my way to grab a few bottles of water before heading to bed myself ;)

But I just wanted to share something before I left. 

First off: there was a video that was first brought to my attention by the lovely Polka Dot

It's a whole half an hour long.

It freaked me out.

It encouraged me. 

It made me sob.

It made me want to get off my backside and do something for the Kingdom.

I know this has probably been making its (it's? its'? *palmface*) rounds in the blogosphere. You may have even seen it once or twice.

It's called the "180" Movie. 

If you wish, here it is to view.... though, it has some pretty mature content. I'd say PG-13, maybe even 14. But if you feel up to it, I highly recommend setting aside 33 minutes for this. 

(this video isn't the point of the post, so keep scrolling...)




The thing that struck me hardest about this video was not necessarily the abortion thing, or the holocaust thing. It was the fact that the vast majority of people interviewed admitted without hesitation that they were probably going to hell when they died.

And they were okay with that.

I live a fairly sheltered life. I know it. I don't walk the halls of a secular high school each day. I don't spend my time in places where I can see the typical American's life. Shoot, the most I get out of the house is violin class, ballet class, and church. And maybe the grocery store.

Needless to say, this completely blew me away. (And bear in mind, I'm an evangelist at heart.) I had no idea just how... lost the world is. I mean, I knew, but......... I had never seen it like that.

I kid you not, I was nearly pulling my hair out while watching that part. Didn't these people realize what they were saying? Didn't they realize that this wasn't how it's meant to be?!?!


Didn't they get it?

It just broke my heart to the point of actually sobbing while talking to my mom, that so many people are like that.

And it made me want to go up to each and every person I came in contact and make sure they knew where they would be going after death. And that they were going to going to the right place.

Hell wasn't meant for people, you guys. It was meant for Satan and his angels. Everybody makes their own choice, though. Though it will break God's heart to do it, those who rejected salvation will go to Hell.

But they'll have to step over the dead body of Jesus Christ to do it.

He made a way for us to be saved. And just as we have been rescued, shouldn't it be a pressing burden upon us to make sure that we are saving those headed for destruction all around us?

Imagine with me for a short second...

***

You're blindfolded. You've been blindfolded since birth. In fact, you don't even realize you're blindfolded. Darkness is your world.

You're on a road, leading someplace you are sure will be just fine. Everyone else you know is on this road, so it should be great, right?

Then you hear someone running up behind you. They're telling you that the road drops off of a cliff. Everybody who walks it will end up falling to their death. They're begging you to take off the blindfold, and see the truth and be saved.

You laugh. What blindfold? And besides, it's been a decent road, why stop traveling it now?

They talk with you some more. And you listen. And eventually, you are convinced. You reach up and take something off your eyes.

And you see. You see everything.

You see the blindfolded people all around you, on the same road, walking toward the cliff. You see people up ahead take their last step and drop off into oblivion.

It could have been you. 


You are desperate to save the people you love, everyone heading for their death. You plead with them, telling them about the cliff. They laugh, and call you a fool, and push you away. They make you feel like an idiot.

But you can see destruction. They can't.

You speak to anyone who will listen. A few heed your words, but many continue, blind by choice, on their way to destruction.

Still, you and the others who have been saved continue trying to save people, up to the very minute they walk off the cliff, pleading with them to see before they die. Before it's too late.

And you wonder why they didn't listen.

***


I am sure that there have been a million little stories like that. And to be honest, I just typed that out, spur of the moment. Hope the writing wasn't too terrible ;)

But my point is this: look around at the people you're rubbing shoulders with. Think of all the unsaved people you know.

There is no guarantee any of them, or you, will still be alive tomorrow. You may be on the road to eternal life, but no matter how "good" of a person they are, or how "nice" they are, like it or not, if someone doesn't get them to open their eyes, they will be tortured in Hell for eternity.

Why should we be ashamed of the gospel? We should be urgently trying to save people-- they laugh and turn away, and make us feel like idiots for sharing the truth-- but what a small price momentary humiliation is for saving souls! If you knew, in real life, that people were blindly heading for a cliff, you would try and stop them no matter how they made you feel, right?

How much more so when the price is eternal? And when time is running out?

At church tonight, we were exhorted to not be ashamed of the Gospel. And truly, though sometimes we are, we ought not to. We can see the imminent cliff. They can't.

For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel! (1 Corinthians 9:16)

So what are we sitting around for?

I heard somewhere that in China, sometimes the believers there greet each other by asking how many people they led to Christ that day.

It shames me to say that I would answer, day after day, "None."

We are not to preach the gospel tomorrow. When we're older. When we know more about the Bible. When we have more knowledge. When we get done doing whatever we're doing now.

No! Today is the day for salvation! Tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone.

...This was just something that has been very pressing in my life lately. To not stay in my comfort zone, letting people do their thing. To not let people pass through my life untouched by the word of God, no matter the cost to my dignity (what dignity should any sinner possess?) or convenience. To not sit around, prioritizing all backwards. Making stupid AMV's, watching movies, and even reading books should never come above the task which my Lord has given all of us.



Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;

But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to [give] the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

(2 Corinthians 4:1-6)




Faint not, dear brothers and sisters, in our ministry. 

11 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow...this post was so incredible. That video is incredible (I have seen it before), and I love how it impacted you and made you think about salvation. Your idea of the cliff is *amazing*. God spoke through you in this post, Abby, and I'm sure it'll be on my mind all day.
~Lauren

Abby said...

Wonderful, wonderful post! I watched 180 and you're so right, it made me think and want to do.

Hannah Joy said...

That gave me the goosebumps. What *you* wrote. I couldn't watch the movie (more the bummer) but your post was touching. Very touching.

The part where you said they'd have to step over Jesus' dead body...that's when the goosebumps came. Seriously. No kidding.

Reminds me of the Newsboys song, "I'm Not Ashamed."

Y'know--"I'm not ashamed to speak the name, of Jesus Christ."

Or "Jesus Freak," by DC Talk.

I just get so scared. So scared I'll mess up and end up making someone jump off the cliff wholeheartedly.

Thanks for the encouragment!

Helen said...

Oh yes! I watched that somewhere else too... Like you said, it really slips the blindfold off you!

Jessica said...

I've seen it around but I never watched it until today. Wow, that was powerful - chilling and very thought provoking.

Your illustration was beautiful, and very true. It was interesting to see how he opened peoples eyes...

Thank you for making me stop and think - it is much appreciated. I've got a lot to think about.

Jessica

Sophia said...

Beautiful!

Jeanine (Wayfaring Girl) said...

Just stumbled upon your lovely blog...just wanted to say wow. What an incredible post. I just watched the clip and it was unfathomable some of those responses...wow. Great commentary by you as well. We, as Christians, if we were living life in the love of Jesus as we should be, would probably have saved the whole world over by now already through Christ. Love must be our motivator. We can't just yell at these people for their crazy beliefs...because a lot of them have no clue who Jesus is and very little moral reference point.

They will be won by actions and love I firmly believe that.

Thanks for posting!

Jeanine

wayfaringgirl.blogspot.com

The Director said...

Amen to that Jeanine :D

Thank you girls, I was blessed to see your comments :]

Jake said...

We are all commanded to go out and make disciples of all nations. *nod* Great post.

Spook said...

I now declare myself to be avidly stalkificating you, my liege! *grins and bounces up and down like a nutcase*

Hai :3

The Director said...

Great to have you here, Spook! *laughs*

New vocabulary alert! *tucks "stalkificating" away* XD