Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Script-A-Month: The Chess Edition of Your Move




^^ That has absolutely nothing to do with this post. It just made me laugh.

************

Thank you everyone so much for your script ideas!!! I loved them all, and want to develop the other ideas (like the psychopath one) in the future and make it real polished... maybe even film-able :D

But for now, you'll have to settle with November's short.

Completely unedited, off-the-top-of-my-head, fresh off the press.

(I literally just finished it, too..... I haven't even read the finished product, I just hit "save" and went straight here to publish it.)

If anyone is on this post looking for an exact replica of the idea they commented with.... just know, that's not happening. In fact, I took little bits of most of the ideas that were thrown out there and just threw them together instead of sticking to any one idea given.

******

One more thing to preface this with:

Because of the rush I wrote it in, the names are super lame, monosyllabic things like Gan, Zur, and Ket.

In fact, that was just about it.

I know, lame. But what was I to do??? Egh.

Also, with shorts, you can do a lot of things that wouldn't fly in a full-length feature.

That in mind, because it was a short, I decided to experiment, and I actually ended the story where most "feature" films would start. Just so you know.

And it was a pretty ambiguous conception. We don't really know why there is a seemingly eternal game of chess going on, or how the intricate details work, like the correspondence between the board(s) and the battlefield. You just have to accept it for what is shown.

Another thing: I know the characterization and character development/backstory could be way, way better. And I'll want to go back and edit/polish it up when I have a chance.

But for now, you'll have to make do with knowing what a rough-draft of a short film looks like :P

And you'll have to make up your own score and special effects, I'm afraid ;)

Cool?

On with the show, then! :D

{Oh, and I apologize in advance for any typos...}














*winces*

I just read it all the way through. That was really rushed..... geez.... that was terrible. :| 

But what did you think? Hope it wasn't too awful for you o_O

As always, I'm open for any words of wisdom (aka critique). But bear in mind everything I said before the script. 

Look out for next month's title sometime next week :)

Btw, how are the NaNoers?? Have you all survived? Please inform me if you haven't. 

4 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

That was pretty cool. :-D I've never actually seen a completed script like that....that's so cool! And I love how you used all our idea. So fun. Of course, being the writer I am, I would have liked more background info, but gosh, it is a short...No, it was good! And great fun to read. :-) I wish I was that good. I'd love to make movies one day.

As for NaNoWriMo...I'm DONE! And I won! :-D Of course, I did the kids' version so I only did 30,000 words, but hey, that is good enough for me. I'm quite proud of myself. :-D

'Slippers said...

First off - love the word picture thingy

Second - I really like your script/screenplay thing! Very intriguing!

Spook said...

That is freaking epic! I absolutely love the premise to this - it ought to be a feature-lenght, I'm serious.

Don't beat yourself up over the writing quality either - everyone's first drafts are piddle, and let me tell you that is NOT piddle. Mine are so much worse than that xD

Abby said...

I love it! I can just imagine it as a movie. Maybe it was a little tiny bit rushed, but that adds to it, I think. Great job!