Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Year in Books, Movies, Music, Writing and Fictional Crushes



Alright, I figure it's about time for my 2011 recap, eh?

(note: I started this last night but it's already the new year, so fail. But, better late than never, right?)

[Oh, and I finished the year out fantastically- watching TTT and ROTK with a very good friend. 'Twas epicness beyond measure :D]

I think this will be a Top 10 sort of deal. Lists, a few pictures, etc. Make it easier on everyone. :)

{Be warned, there will be random pictures scattered throughout that just made me happy this last year. There will be no explanation for the random pictures xD}

Starting off: Top 10 Favorite Books (first-time read this year)





I don't keep super-good track of what books I read and when, so this is as many of the good ones as I can remember.

I'm apologizing to any stupendous book in advance that I left out.

Starting with the best of the year:

  1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
  2. The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme by Elizabeth Haydon/tied with/The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
  3. Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
  4. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones/tied with/ The Cat of Bubastes by G. A. Henty
  5. Saint Iggy by K. L. Going
  6. Buried Fire by Jonathan Stroud
  7. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
  8. In The Path Of Falling Objects by Andrew Smith
  9. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
  10. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn and Eona: The Last Dragoneye by Alison Goodman
Honorable mentions: First Day on Earth (Cecil Castellucci), Moby Dick (Herman Melville), Ranger's Apprentice #1-3, and Torn by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Also: the manga series' Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and xxxholic.




Top 10 Favorite Movies Watched this year, in theaters and at home. 

  1. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
  2. Hugo
  3. Billy Elliot
  4. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
  5. Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle anime series/tied with/ Kobato (also an anime series)
  6. Nicholas Nickleby
  7. The Eagle 
  8. Jane Eyre
  9. Howl's Moving Castle
  10. The Pursuit of Happyness 


Top 10 Best Scores or Songs of 2011:

Hugo (score by Howard Shore)
Amaranth (by Nightwish)
Far Away (by Kanon)
True Grit (score by Carter Burwell)
October (by Evanescence)
Juliet (by LMNT)
All Things Bright and Beautiful (album by Owl City)
Gloria (by Kanon)
Homecoming (by Thomas Bergersen)
Young Homie and Where Do We Go From Here (by Chris Rene) [W00T for X-Factor!]


Top 10 Writing Achievements (and Fails) of 2011:

Achievements:
• Wrote two screenplays (speaking of, I will be posting En Route to Mississippi and the Guest Post winner tomorrow sometime after church ;)
•Started a book and have written madly
•Drew and characterized Dantere. (oh yes!)
•Learned to write in first person
•Got a new notebook :]

Fails:
•Still haven't finished RCK
•Writing quality has diminished concerning RCK
•Still haven't finished RCK
•Have begun to hate RCK
•Wishes that I did NaNo just to finish RCK

*headdesk*

Sorry, RCK. :P


And, a list of the fictional crushes of the year:

Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Watanuki from xxxholic
Fujimoto from Kobato
Ender from Ender's Game
Hugo from... er..... Hugo :P
Billy from Billy Elliot (and yeah, Jamie.... but he's a real person so he doesn't make the list)
Tintin from The Adventures of Tintin movie
Esca from The Eagle (I'm sensing a Jamie Bell trend here..... hm.....)
and
Howl from Howl's Moving Castle


........... I kind of have a crush on everyone. *palmface*


Oh, yeah, and Top 10 goals:

•Make another movie
•Submit a screenplay to a script competition
•Finally learn to use Final Cut
•Finish a decent fanvid/AMV
•Not go over the 100 limit at he library (I've done it three times this year..... thank goodness they know me there, they let me off easy :P)
•Volunteer at the library some more
•Learn Japanese
•Finish RCK and Dantere's Story
•Read more Dickens
•Get all of my schoolwork done on time

xD

How random.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone! I'll be back tomorrow to wrap up Script-A-Month, the last unfinished thing from 2011. 

May the Lord bless this new year for all of you. 

<3

15 comments:

Katie S. said...

Hurrah, hullay, happy new year! It's been a wonderful year, it really has.

(And Jamie Bell is rather grand, isn't he? Not saying that I... Well. His voice and funny face. Yup. He's adorable. I admit it. So there!)

Here's to another year filled with blessing and Joy. You will be in my prayers, DirectorAbby. ^.^

Amaranthine said...

XD

I love your lists! and agree with many of them :D My favorite Howl's Moving Castle character is Howl's hair...ahem XD

Hannah Joy said...

Love the list! Happy New Year!

Arda said...

Very cool! A very Happy New Year to you!

Love that cat picture, by the way. :D

Charley R said...

Amaranth by Nightwish is a gorgeous song. I love Nightwish SO MUCH! One of my favourite bands :)

As for Esca ... he IS gorgeous, I have to say, hee hee! Though my top movie crush has to be Aragorn from Lord of the Rings - he's even more adorable when you see his antics behind the scenes. Pity he's only good-looking as the character really xP

Millardthemk said...

What is the one hundred limit? :)

And one of your anime pictures was not very audience friendly... :S

The Director said...

@Katie
Aw, thank you! <3

@Amaranthine
Yup xD

@Hannah Joy
You too!

@Arda
:)

@Charley
Yeah, I hear you :P

@Mil
Oh whoops O_O Which one? I'll take it off right now....

And the one hundred limit question was rhetorical right??

Lauren said...

Ah, Howl....le sigh!
happy new year, Miss Abby! :D
~Lauren ;)

Corey P. said...

Awesome! And I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Pursuit of Happyness - great movie! :)

The Director said...

Happy New Year to you to Lauren! <3

And yep, Corey, that is one phenomenal movie. :D

Precentor said...

Nope nope, I have no clue what the "one hundred" limit is O_O

Miriam Forster said...

Nice lists!

I hope your new year is awesome and blessed!

Chris said...

With all that you said about Tintin I'm surprised Hugo beat it on your list of top ten movies. But I would agree. Hugo was more appealing to me. My 8 year old brother was bored to death by it. He liked Tintin much better.

Anonymous said...

"Hugo from...er...Hugo" Haha. :)
Also do mean like a 100 books out at one time?

The Director said...

@Miriam
Thank you!

@Chris
It was close..... it was close though. :) I still love Tintin :D :D :D But I'm also heavily prejudiced.

@Anonymous
Yes, the 100-book limit is the max. amount of books checked out at one time. Going into this year I had 104. xD