Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Can We Has Excerpts?


Yes you may has :)

Again, from Dantere's Story, currently entitled, "Silver Eyes," that I wrote... last night or this morning, I think ;)


 I’ve asked father, but he doesn’t think it has anything to do with him being from Verria and my mother from Eleren. (Which makes me wonder, how many other half-breed children does he know?) He told me her eyes are light green. Like the way a forest looks when there’s sunlight streaming through it. That’s what he says, anyway.
   At any rate, their appearance isn’t the only odd thing about my eyes. Unless I’m going mental. But I’ve been seeing things that aren’t there. Not just once or twice, either. Half the day, I’m seeing stuff that doesn’t exist: trees, houses, people. Just this morning, I was standing on the walltop to enjoy the sunrise (actually I was avoiding my half-sister, Keziren, but don’t mention that), and to the north-east, there was a mountain range that, I promise, wasn’t there yesterday. I squinted at it. Blinked. Rubbed my eyes. Shook my head. It went away, eventually. But goodness, what an unnerving way to wake up.
   It’s worse than that, though. I’ll stop myself from running into a wall, or a tree, then put my hand out and feel nothing. I’ll even smile at people I pass by, and then Nerephides or my father asks what I’m looking at.
   Since then, I’ve discovered that living with my head down, studying the ground, is a much safer option. I know my feet aren’t an illusion.
   I’ve been able to avoid explaining to father and Lady Tela so far, but I don’t know how long that’s going to last.
   My eyes are so much more trouble than they’re worth.

   “Dantere, father says if you don’t get down to the main courtyard in twelve seconds, you’re going to spend the rest of the day doing drills.”
   That is my half-sister Keziren for you. She’s almost two years younger than me, but she talks like she’s my mother.
   “It takes two minutes to get from here to the courtyard, and if he’s planning on punishing me, he’ll give me tactical studies, not drills,” I said. I was in my room working on a painting, and I was close to finishing, too. I had even pulled out my good paints, the ones Lady Tela gave me for my birthday.
   “Why protest? You’ll still be late, no matter what I say or don’t say.”
   I sighed and stood up. She could be so frustrating sometimes. I wanted to take a nap. “What’s it for, anyway? I didn’t know there was a practice.”
   “It looked more like a meeting. Lord Teinvareth was there, too.”
   I almost dropped the paints I was putting away. Lord Teinvareth was a Knight of the Crown, like my father, and just as important. Being late for something he was attending “Keziren!” I winced as I listened to myself whine. But why does she never mention the important details?
   “What?” Those innocent-looking blue eyes were twinkling at me.
   “Forget it.” I swept my paints to one side of the desk and grabbed my cloak, and dashed out into the corridor. “If I have paint on my face, I don’t want to know now!”
   I think I heard her say, “You do,” but I was too far down the first flight of stairs to be sure. 



Oh, and by the way, I know what I'm writing for NaNoWriMo this year. Lord wiling, anyway. We'll see how the year goes. But yeah. I'm very excited. *preps for completely new series*





7 comments:

Kate {The Parchment Girl} said...

I love the LOTR caption! Hilarious! Pinning that to my pinterest funnies board...

Lainie said...

Excited for the story... great job...keep going, but don't forget to sleep ;)

Charley Robson said...

Yay LOTR funnies! And I LOVE this excerpt - Dantere's charmed me thoroughly, and Keziren sounds hilarious, hee hee!

Hooray for NaNoWriMo! I have no idea what I'll end up doing this year, but that's half the fun - choosing, when the time comes. Might even try pants-ing something this year, if no brilliant ideas strike :)

Thanks for the excerpt ... we can has more sometime? I enjoy this :)

Hannah Joy said...

Awesome excerpt!!! I love this story! When will it be published???

The Director said...

Charley.... that fact that you like 'Tere makes me so, so happy! Way to make a girl's day! :) I'll get another excerpt out tomorrow, hopefully ;)

Farjag said...

Likin'! Keep up the good work, D!

The Director said...

Thanks Sir Farjag! :)