Wednesday, February 8, 2012

So, what is Script Frenzy anyway?


I noticed a lot of my peeps have never even heard of Script Frenzy.

So, allow me to introduce it to you :)

It's the sister to NaNoWriMo. But instead of writing a 50,000 word novel in the space of a month, you write an 100-page script: film, TV, play, radio drama, whatever-- during the month of April.

Sound fun? It's great for beginners as well as.... er... not beginners. :P

Now, the Pros and Cons.

PROS
Let me say: Script Frenzy is, as a general rule, far easier than NaNoWriMo for multiple reasons:

a) It is not judged by word count, thus...
b) you write far less words than a 50k novel
c) you don't have to worry about the rhythm of your words like you would in a novel. Screenplays should read as smooth as possible, but they're pretty "choppy" naturally.
d) as long as you have a story that would fill up 100 minutes of film time, you're golden. :P

CONS
a) the format of screenwriting is a little tricky to get a handle on at first, so that can be a bit of a slower-downer.

b) if you don't have a screenplay-writing program, adjusting formats in Word, etc., is time-consuming. (I highly recommend the free program Celtx for script-writing.)

c) if you're naturally a novelist, going from novel to screenplay can be a rough transition. I personally lean toward screenplays, but the style of writing is so different that it can be hard to bounce between the two.

d) it's also hard as a novelist to go between story styles. Films play out differently than novels. (Hence why adaptions are very tricky....)

THAT SAID....


Once you get a handle on the formatting, screenwriting is probably one of the funnest things in the world. If it sounds interesting to you, I highly recommend you give it a go this year. Even if you don't win, you'll have done something new and exciting! :D

Oh, and here's a few links if you're still curious about screenwriting. This post of mine has some links at the end if you want to read some scripts.

And these links go to celtx and formatting 411:

http://celtx.com/

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_lessons/sample_lesson_format.htm

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/node%252F2000045

Alright, well that's all for now folks!

Humor me while I amuse myself with stupid pictures....





*giggles*

Sorry, excuse me......

6 comments:

Laura Josephsen said...

Good luck with Script Frenzy! I haven't attempted script writing--it might be fun as a challenge, but right now I'm up to my eyeballs in writing. Script writing sure is an art unto itself--I'm sure you'll do great! :D

Hannah Joy said...

Hallo!

First, this sounds crazy fun and though I have never written a screenplay and have no idea how to at all, I think I may just try it. O.o I'm gonna need a lot of support. ;-)

Second, I was looking at your titles in the below post. I like 'em, but my favorite is "Long Live the King" because it is so epic. Makes me think of a young king--just crowned. The people don't exactly respect/trust the new king. Moreover, there is a war or other conflict on the horizon....oh wait! What if something is missing--something got stolen that will kick the king off his throne if he doesn't reclaim that something soon...you know, kinda like the scepter in King Ottakar's Scepter, but not quite like that. So the king has to find it before he loses his throne--and loses ALL the little trust his people have in him. So...he goes on a quest to find the important item. In the meantime, he leaves the ruling of the kingdom in the hands of an advisor or other such person. That person turns out to be the thief........

...

Oops, I kind of let my imagination run. And kind of gave you more than you bargained for. In the words of Rapunzel in Tangled, "Sorry..." *nervous smile*

The Director said...

Thank you Laura :)

And Hannah-- oh my gosh don't apologize! I REALLY, REALLY like that idea.... can I steal it? Dude..... you're great! I'm so taking it and running with it..... yow! I love it! *tries to handle all the great ideas popping into my head*

You're brilliant. The end.

Charley R said...

I've never tried writing a screenplay, and heck knows I'd like to, but I haven't the faintest idea what sort of thin I'd put IN it - I know you don't spend a lot of time describing setting / appearance of characters, and everything happens in the present tense, but that's all I know really *facepalm* I is a noob! xP

The Director said...

Well, Charley, have you ever seen a script for a play? It's basically like that, I mean, look at the scripts that I've written-- the screenplay is basically the road map to make the actual movie-- you write down what is seen and heard. Basic description, nothing elaborate, and the only other thing is scene headings. If you read some you may get a pretty good idea of how it goes ;)

Hannah Joy said...

Wow...thank you! And yes, the idea is totally for you. That's what I wrote it for! I'm so glad you liked it! That makes my day about seven times over. :'-) I'd love to see what you come up with.