Monday, March 26, 2012

Experience Points! ~Abby's Crazy Elevator Story



:P

So, I went with a friend to a NeedToBreathe concert, right? (Which was amazing, by the way-- let the world hear once more how much I want an electric guitar, an electric violin, and a rock band to go with them. Thank you.)

Anyway.

So, it's like, 10:50 or so, and me and the two gals I went with walk down to the parking garage.

We were on sublevel 2 (which here, was P2), but I don't think we could remember exactly where the car was, and didn't want to walk from P1 down to P2 and be lost. (Okay, I wanted to walk, they didn't, but hey, we were at a standing-room only concert, so their feet were sore I guess.)

So, we get into those little isolated rooms in the middle of the parking lot, wait for the elevator.

The other two gals take pictures by the neon green P1 wall.

Elevator opens. And closes.

I hit the button again and tell them to pay attention. (But I think I was politer than that though, after all I was the junior member of the group by a bit.)

It's now 10:59.

The elevator opens again.

We get in.

The doors close.

Someone hits "P2" on the control panel.

Nothing.

I hit it. Someone else hits it.

Nothing, nothing.

We sorta press P1, and then some other random buttons.

The elevator shudders, and sorta settles into place. *makes sound effect noises*

Ok-aaaay.....

We sorta look at each other like, now what?

And then the lights go out.

And apparently one of the other gals has had a lifelong fear of plummeting in an elevator.

Nice.

So we're stuck in a dark elevator.

Stacey starts praying, for obvious reasons. I start praying. Both out loud.

Stacey's friend Julie pulls out her phone and updates her Facebook page.

I felt like headdesking, but we hit the "call help/emergency" button thing (after trying to open the door manually and other things).

We tell the lady on the end where we are and that we're stuck.

She says someone is coming to help us.

I kinda start laughing and am pretty calm, except I start to freak whenever I think, "What if the control panel stops working?"

'Cause then we would be really stuck with no way to call for help. And I don't think my two buddies were getting cell phone service.

We joke that being stuck would be fine if NeedToBreathe and their instruments were also stuck in the elevator with us.

I try to ignore the fact that we are, in face, stuck in this itty bitty dark spot with no way out.

We wonder how long we'll be. We wonder how long we've been.

We wait.

Something beeps.

I panic and tell them to hit the "call help thingy" button again.

I speak with the lady on the other line.

"Are you guys still stuck? Are you okay?"

"Oh yeah, no, we're alright, we're just chatting it up while we're waiting for you guys to come and rescue us."

etc.

Then after a bit the elevator shudders, rises, opens, and here we are back on ground level with a security guard looking at us.

Quoth he, "The elevator only goes up to the lobby after 11 o'clock. Don't worry, happens all the time. Which level were you trying to get to?"

Next time the doors open we're on P2, safe and sound.

We were only stuck in there ten minutes, and I get the infinite pleasure of running wildly through a completely empty and abandoned underground parking lot (it's really fun, trust me.)

We explain to my mother and other concerned members of the Facebook, that the elevators only go up after 11, and we happened to step in right at eleven, that's all.

But you'd think that someone would put some sorta sign up in the elevator or somewhere?

:/

But anyway.

Experience points!

Now I have some genuine emotions to pull from when I need to write about someone feeling sudden stabs of terror, or being stuck, or something.

:]

What's the craziest thing that happened to you, to date?

10 comments:

Lauren said...

When you said the one girl got her phone out to update her Facebook page, I laughed out loud! That is GREAT! And yet, the whole experience freaks me out. A friend and I got stuck in our church's elevator once...the lights didn't go off, I wasn't in too strange a place, and there were actually some people around, though they were upstairs and far away...but all of these things make my experience a bit less traumatizing than yours ;D I'm glad you survived it, Abby. I'd be sad without your online presence to give me smiles!! :)
~Lauren :)

Abby said...

And you talk about not being a novelist. This would make a great story in your autobiography!
Well...

Anyway, loved this post. Personally, I've never been stuck in an elevator. But (theoretically) it sounds kinda fun. :) I'm crazy, I know it.

Charley Robson said...

LOL! I've done that sort of thing before - I woul try and tell you the craziest thing I've ever done, but the list would be collossal. Getting spat on by a camel, flung off a horse into a river and nearly eaten by a considerably sized kangaroo would have to be up there somewhere.

Yeah, animals. We don't "bond" well :P

Thanks for this little story - made me smile, though probably not for the right reasons :P

Charley Robson said...

LOL! I've done that sort of thing before - I woul try and tell you the craziest thing I've ever done, but the list would be collossal. Getting spat on by a camel, flung off a horse into a river and nearly eaten by a considerably sized kangaroo would have to be up there somewhere.

Yeah, animals. We don't "bond" well :P

Thanks for this little story - made me smile, though probably not for the right reasons :P

Kitty said...

yaaay found a cool blog to read :) I love your writings. Keep up the good work! O, and please visit mine back, hope we can be friends~ :)

Jessica said...

*giggle* getting stuck in elevators is fun isn't it? Once we went to the hospital to visit my Grandma and as we were leaving - we got stuck in the elevator. It was interesting and fun and kind of almost scary, we all sat down on the floor and waited almost an hour for the repair man to come since it was late at night too. Something about elevators and late nights...it's a bad thing *giggle* But interesting and thankfully our lights stayed on because at the time I had a 7 year old sister who is easily terrified. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Jessica

Hannah Joy said...

HAHA. My my. That was awesome. The craziest things that happen to me happen mostly on purpose because I have a crazy family. And I am crazy myself.

The last elevator incident was completely of our own accord. We pressed ALL the levels (12 or so) so that it stopped at every one. The people who got in at the sixth or so level were not pleased. ;-)

But mostly my crazy incidents are stuff like getting caught in a hailstorm on a mountain and attempting to build a shelter, having a mountain lion in our backyard, meeting Charlie Lowell in the airport (keyboardist for Jars of Clay) etc. Life is more of an adventure than most of us think, isn't it?

Jessica said...

Hey Director! I just wanted to say thank you for being so fond and advertising Tin Tin on your blog. Today was my little sisters birthday and she and I spent the day together. :) So it was a visit to the zoo, bringing home a small white fuzzy stuffed polar bear (now named Snowy in honor of Tin Tin's dog :) who happens to have a strong resemblance to our own beloved puppy). A picnic and a movie...now the movie was a hard choice but after throwing out several options and then watching the trailer my little sister was all hi ho for Tin Tin. :) We just finished watching and had an absolute blast! Thank you so much for sharing about it!!!! It made a very special day WONDERFUL!!!!!

Jessica

Miriam Forster said...

You mean OTHER than hiding in the corner stall of a men's bathroom hoping desperately the man in the bathroom wouldn't see me and I would die of embarrassment?

I'll have to think about it. :)

The Director said...

Oh WOW! xD How'd that happen Miriam? :P

Oh, and Jessica you are very welcome, glad it was a great day! <3