Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm a screenwriter, NOT a novelist

(hee hee. 
fandom rage in three, two, one....)

*coughs*

Don't get too upset now: I mean, in the ways of professionally approaching the craft. I will always be at least an amateur novelist...... if not anything more.

This is why:

NOVELING


2006


Me: Hey, I think I'll write a story, and the plot will go like this! *starts to write*


*watches Star Wars*


Me: ILOVETHATMOVIE! IWILLMAKEMYSTORYJUSTLIKEIT!


2007


Me: Hey, that little story of mine has altered some...... but now I think I can write it. 


*rereads Narnia*


Me: HEY! That's a good idea..... maybe I should make my book just like that...


2008


Me: I finally started writing my book!


*reads Lord Of The Rings*


Me: THOSE BOOKS ARE GENIUS!!!!! MY BOOK WILL BE A DISASTER UNLESS I MAKE IT JUST LIKE IT!


2009


Me: Well..... I think my story has improved, at least. And I've picked up writing it again. 


*watches Lord Of The Rings*


Me: OH MY GOOOOSSSSSSHHHHH!!!! ILOVETHATMOVIE!!!! I WILL MAKE MY STORY JUSTLIKEIT!


2010


Me: That's it. I just gotta come up with my own story. 


*writes*


Me: I need some inspiration....


2011


Me: This plot has been done waaay too many times.... *tweaks plot*


*discovers manga*


Me: OHMYWORD HOW DID I LIVE BEFORE I READ TSUBASA?????


I must make my book just like it. But I'll blend all the other stuff I already thought up, too. 


*tweaks story*


*continues writing*


2012


Me: I finally have an original story! NO MORE COPYING OTHER PEOPLE.


*writes*


*reads more manga*


*admires their very good plots*


Me: My story sucks. 


*tweaks plot*


*writes*


*tweaks plot*


*writes*


*tweaks plot*


*tweaks plot*


*tweaks plot*


*runs out of ideas*


*tweaks plot*


*dies*


*watches Code Geass anime*


Me: OHMYGOOOOOODDDNEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!


(note, this is the exact same story THE WHOLE TIME)

Whereas, meanwhile.....


SCREENWRITING


2011


November: *writes a short*


December: *writes a short*


2012


January: *writes a short*


February: *starts a feature*


March: *is writing a short*


*has absolutely no qualms over having an original plot*




................................................. y'all get what I mean?

Now, I don't want to see you people all comment and tell me that I just need to work on it more, novel writing will become easier over time, don't discourage yourself now.

I get it, y'all. I really do.

I'm just saying, as much as I LOVE AND ADORE novel writing, I don't think I could, at this point in life, approach it professionally.

But screenwriting?

I really, really could do that my whole entire life. Successfully.

I could also spend the rest of my life trying to write that book.

But I'm content to leave that in "amateur" stage. Because, at least I do enjoy it, coming up with ideas and tweaking the plot and meeting new characters.

But just so y'all know.

This is partly a writing blog.

But I'm a screenwriter. Not a novelist.

;)




Oh, by the way the elevator story is coming. ^_^

5 comments:

Charley Robson said...

Bahahaha, that novelling stage was SO me up until about a year ago - still happens, occasionally, though I usually think "hang on a moment .. i SHALT NOT PLAGIARISE!" to keep myself in line.

I've never tried writing a screenplay, but I honestly don't think my style is compatible - I love description and really getting inside people's heads, which doesn't happen so easily in a script. I'm too much of an escapist to approach something that methodically, lol.

Still, I shall sit back and admire your screen-ery (lawl, did yoo see whut I did thurr?) while glaring with a vengeance at my own unco-operative novels.

Now, please excuse me. I must go and fanrage ;)

Marian said...

Don't apologize! I'm jealous that you can write scripts...that's something I've never had the patience to learn and would probably do a terrible job if I tried (dialogue, in novel or movie, isn't my forte). Experimenting in different genres can help you in the genre you excel in, though. :)

Hannah Joy said...

Oh. My. I have felt this way, but, unfortunately, I don't have script writing under my belt (I have never ever tried it) so I have nothing but noveling, and therefore, I have to keep noveling. *sigh* It's brutal, sometimes. ;-) Anyway, loved the post!

'Slippers said...

Good post Director! Totally relate to it, except for the fact that I can't write screenplays either. O.o

And by the way, I really like the shark picture at the end...Not sure why, it just tickles me :)

Looking forward to the elevator story you keep bringing up, I'm curious to hear it.

Lauren S. said...

You just need to work on it more, novel writing will come easier over time...

Just kidding, just kidding! ;)

But have you thought of turning one of your original scripts into a novel?

I seem to be able to do both novel writing and screenwriting, although I borrow heavily from screenwriting techniques for my novels. I like the tight structure of screenplays, so I try to make my stories tight and neat and my writing relatively sparse.

The world needs good screenwriters. If it's what you're good at, stick with it! Let us know when you get a movie up on the silver screen. :)