Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Another peek at "And Then I Lived"


EXT. FARM HOUSE - HALF HOUR LATER

Alex is standing at the beginning of a driveway to a farm house. The mailbox next to him says, "Irvine."

The wind blows Alex’s hair into his eyes, which are starting to blur with tears.

Some children run out into the yard, leaping around a tire swing. A dog runs by, prancing happily.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO): They were strange people there. At my home. That wasn’t my family.

Alex stands stoically, watching the people in his old house as if taking it in.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO): I had no idea where they were. Everyone was gone.

He turns back onto the road, and walks along the rows of young corn. The sun is setting, turning everything a ruddy gold.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO): And I wasn’t sure what the heck was gonna happen now.

EXT. FOREST BY TRAIN TRACKS - DAY - FORTY YEARS LATER

CLOSE UP:

Alex’s shoes scuff the dirt and twigs and leaves, kicking some of them onto the train tracks that he’s walking next to.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO): It’s been sixty years since the accident. Forty-five years since I woke up on the side of the road.

A train WHISTLES somewhere behind him. Alex looks back briefly, then continues walking.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO) So, I can’t die. Which has its benefits. But being immortal isn’t really all it’s cracked up to be. Cause there’s a heaven out there somewhere, and I can’t exactly get there anytime soon. So yeah, this is me, still alive, and wishing very much I was dead. An odd position to say the least.

The train whistles again. Alex’s head jerks upward.

EXTREME CLOSE UP:

His eyes are wide with realization. This not something out of the ordinary. But urgent nonetheless.

MID-SHOT:

From the side, we see Alex’s hands in his pockets, his tattered shirt and jacket.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO): But... there is something I’ve been doing all this time.

His hands move out of his pockets. His steps become quicker. A slow jog, then a full on run.

He’s running with all his might parallel to the tracks. The train is gaining on him.

NARRATOR ALEXANDER (VO): The price for my immortal life, I
guess.

***

Muahaha I say, once more.

I hope y'all don't choke on stuff again. Last time, people were choking on water, pop tarts, etc.... dearie me ;)

Anyway, see y'all when this is done! Hang tight 'til then! :)

9 comments:

Farjag said...

Oh, garsh... I've been quoted! :) That's awesome, D! Purely awesome.

Abby said...

*choke*

Charley Robson said...

*chokes on a ferret*

YOU CAN'T HOLD ME IN SUSPENSE LIKE THAT! ONLY EVIL PEOPLES SUCH AS MYSELF ARE ALLOWED TO DO THAT, CURSE YOU!

..... tell me more, or I will feed you to the Tribble Pit! *glares evilly*

Kismint said...

*sigh*

Alas, my ideas and scribbles hold not a penny.

*throws hands up in the air and slams them on desk*

I give up.

Farewell ideas. Be dust in the wind. Fly away.

Ehh.

Jake P. said...

Hang tight 'til then! Arrrgh! Right now I'm hanging off the edge of a cliff, Abby! It's not very comfortable, dash it! So have mercy...'cause I'm starting to cramp up... ;-)

Another excellent piece of writing, keep it coming!

Hannah Joy said...

If I had anything to choke on, I would choke on it. CPR! Somebody give me CPR! ;-)

YOU HAVE TO GIVE US MORE!!

Em;) said...

AHHHHH when am I going to read more!!!! I can't wait any longer......can't....wait..any.....longer!!!
Love it girl!! keep it up!
Em

Alexis said...

Abby! I've been reading and following your blog for like, 2 years now, and I HATE it when you do this to us! Tell us more, please! Before I lose my sanity!

Miriam Forster said...

Please may I have some more?

*holds out bowl* *makes big Oliver Twist eyes*