Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Blogger Interview! Abby of His Sparrow




Delays, delays, nothing but delays.


Sorry y'all. Life has stepped in and stolen me away from the good ol' bloggo. And from mailing out all those lovely books.... my most sincere apologies. I'll get to that asap, but things are a little hectic right now. 


But to make up for some lost time, here is the long-awaited Blogger Interview, as well as some excerpts from Abby's work. And Abby, thank you so much for doing this!


Here goes!


***



TD: What made you want to start blogging?

Abby: Well, I hate to have to say it, but it was jealousy. J It was because my sister got a blog and I didn’t have one.

TD: What first inspired you to write?

Abby: It sounds a little cheesy, but I’ve been writing my whole life. My first ‘book’ was a comic called The Itchy Person. A classic work, indeed.

TD: Love it xD 


So, tell us a little bit about your mad piano skills and your mandolin awesomeness :)

Abby: *modest chuckle* Oh yes. I’ve been playing piano for about ten years. My dad taught me for the first seven years, and then I did ‘real’ piano lessons for the last three. I only just started mandolin this year. It’s very fun. The first few weeks I didn’t have a case for my instrument, and I didn’t quite feel like an official mandolin player until I got one. But I’m official now. J Anyhow, my sisters (they play guitar and violin, as well as piano) and I are thinking of starting a bluegrass band. Yee-haw! Isn’t that what bluegrass people say? Or am I thinking cowboys?

TD: Heehee!


Donuts or cookies?

Abby: Is there any contest? Cookies all the way.

TD:  Pie? :P

Abby: No, thank you.

TD: Top three favorite songs.

Abby: Oh, the hardest question! There’s so many. I think, Psalm 148 or Praise the Lord. And Indescribable, and Blessed Assurance. But those are only a few of the many songs I like.

TD:  Favorite movie?

Abby: I like all the Sherwood movies. (Fireproof, Courageous, etc.) And I also like the Chronicles of Narnia.

TD:  For Narnia!!! (Yelling that makes even football extremely epic.)


Which writer do you admire the most?

Abby: I really like C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R Tolkien, and Martha Finley. There’s a lot more, but it would take a lot of time and space to list all of them. 

TD:  (At the risk of sounding like this is sunday school...) Favorite bible verse right now?

Abby: Right now, it’s either Hebrews 6:19 or 2 Timothy 3:16. Nice verses. But it changes every week.

TD:  Tell me, what's it like in Georgia? I live in the Pac NW, and am very curious!

Abby: Well, in the summer, it’s hot. With lots of mosquitoes and flies. In spring, there are lots of flowers, like daffodils, which I love. In fall, it’s gorgeous. We have an oak tree, so there are lots of acorns and pretty colored leaves. And in winter, it’s cold (not very, but still) and sometimes it snows, but not very much. Right now, it’s summer, so I have about four mosquito bites and a fly has been buzzing around the computer. And I was hot earlier today.

TD:  Most crazy life experience to date?

Abby: Probably just the experience of having twin bothers I mean, brothers, is pretty crazy. We actually didn’t know they were twins until the fourth ultrasound. And for a while we though my littlest brother John was a girl (before he was born, of course!). Those aren’t really very crazy, but I can’t think of anything very crazy. 

TD: Is there one book or series you wish everyone could read?

Abby: I think everyone should read… The Elsie Dinsmore books, the Anne of Green Gables series, Little Women, Lord of the Rings, and Chronicles of Narnia. And Black Beauty. Looking back, that’s not one, but I want you to read all of them!

TD:  I like Elsie Dinsmore, LOTR, and Narnia too :) I never finished Little Women... 


Do you like to cook? If so, favorite thing to make? (You can see I am fishing for dinner ideas here... xD)

Abby: I like cooking better than baking; baking is so precise and cooking can be non-precise. Favorite thing, probably spaghetti or chicken casserole. Or maybe those are the things I like to eat best. J

TD: Favorite music?

Abby: Type of music? Either bluegrass, or lately it’s been songs from Disney movies. Like Once Upon a Dream, or A Whole New World.


TD: I'm not even kidding here, I have spent the last three days running around my house singing "A Whole New World" at the top of my lungs, haha!

TD:  If you were standing on top of a mountain, what would you yell for the world to hear? ^_^

Abby: Probably just, “HI!” But if it was a snowy mountain, I wouldn’t yell anything. That could start an avalanche.


TD: Good thinking. 


***

And bonus, ladies and gentlemen, Abby has been kind enough to share an excerpt or two from her WIPs! She gave me a couple options, and I had to pick these two because they were so intriguing! I love how enticing they were to read. 


Here they are:


The crows circled in the dark, moonless sky. Avaline watched them from where she lay in the
grass. She hated them, hated their glossy plumage, hated their cawing and screeching, and
especially hated their cruel claws and beak. She turned over on her side so she would not have
to watch them. Suddenly, a rustling came from the bushes. Avaline sat up, every nerve alert.
It was only a fox, who quietly slipped away, but Avaline knew she had lingered long enough.
It was the time to travel. She slung the bag that she carried onto her back and walked away,
leaving the circling crows to fly and talk about their own hateful business.

***

As she walked, Avaline replayed in her mind, as she did most every day, what had happened on
that day, the day she became an orphan.
She had been only ten years old. It had been a cloudy day, with big fat snowflakes falling
from the sky. Avaline’s older brother had begged to go outside, but her father had said, “No,
Isaac, it is much too dangerous.” He had been out of work in those days, and Avaline’s mother
was worried and fretful. Avaline had noticed that in those days, an air of fear and worry had
pervaded their little house. She had not liked it at the time, and she could tell that her brother
was frightened too. Isaac had been sitting in a chair by the fire, sulking, but Avaline sat by the
window, staring at the snow falling. All of a sudden, she saw a huge black shape flying in the
sky. “O, Mother!” She squeaked, “What is it?” Mother had flown to the window and turned
deadly pale. “They’re here.” She said in a low voice, and seemed about to faint. “Oh no,” Father
said. He must have known without looking what she meant. “What? What is it? What?” Avaline
repeated. Isaac had turned pale too, and had rushed to the window. The black cloud was getting
closer.
“Avaline, Isaac,” Father said, “There’s something I must tell you.” He hurried to the hearth,
pulled out a small green box, and held it up to them. “I never told you about this.” Pulling it
out of its box, he quickly placed it around Avaline’s neck. It was a medallion, round, shiny,
and silver, hung on a thin chain. Hammered into it was a sign, which later Avaline realized


was a crow. Isaac stared at it, transfixed and forgetting for the moment about the mysterious
danger. “What does it do, Father?” he asked. “It is too long and complicated to explain right
now, children, but this you must know: you need to get this to a man named Glyndon O’Harris.
He lives in Darbonshire. He will help you to know what to do with it.” Father tucked the
medallion into Avaline’s dress so it stayed hidden. “Hurry, Carl, they’re getting closer,” Mother
urged from the window.
“Now children, you must stay hidden,” Father said, tucking them into a cupboard, “And make
no noise. When you find Glyndon, tell him that Carlo Thomas, your father, sent you. He will
understand.” A horrible noise started to come from the roof.
“Hide, children!” Mother called, hugging Father close. Avaline and Isaac hid their eyes just as
the ceiling cracked in two. There was a whirlwind of sound, cawing and cackling, screaming and
screeching, and the last noise Avaline heard was her father yelling. Then everything was silent.
There was no sound.



***

So cool! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful work, Abby!

You can visit her at His Sparrow: http://jesusrules13.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Charley Robson said...

Haha, lovely interview! Cookies are delicious - I swear I'd sell my soul for a good cookie, haha!

Like those extracts too! Great work, both with you!