Monday, July 2, 2012

Movie Review: Thor



And the reviews begin! Yay ;)


★★★★☆


Thor

The Rating and Cautions
Rating: PG-13 (for adventure action violence, and brief language)

Objections:
Violence- Large amount, minimal blood/gore though
Language- Also minimal, but there. 
Sexuality- Chris Hemsworth missing a shirt at one point. And an unnecessary kiss. 

The Credits
Screenplay by Ashley Miller, and  Zack Stentz among others



Based on the Marvel comics. 






The Summary
When the young god Thor rashly disobeys his father and brings about the threat of war, Odin Allfather strips him of his power and casts him out-- and straight down to Earth, where he learns about the true sacrifice of leadership . 



The Director's Take
This is coming long after the Thor hype, and Avengers hype too, for that matter. But for those that still haven't seen it....

It is very wonderful.

Never fear, I shall elaborate!

Thor's homeworld of Asgard is so well done and gorgeous. I announced while watching that I wanted to live there. I still do ;) Generally speaking, the sequences on earth are quite believable, and humorous as well. And as with every other Marvel film, this one is full of crossovers and cameos (we get to see Hawkeye as "Agent Barton" make a short appearance here), and there are so many things that set up for only the bestest film ever, Avengers.


Thor is epic on an otherworldly scale, with action and humor and yes, romance, scattered throughout. It leaves you with a heroic feeling inside. My only complaint was the length. Too short. I've seen some of the deleted scenes, and I wish they kept everything. Thor and Loki's relationship could have been set up more, as well as everything going on once Thor gets to earth.

The sense of adventure in this film is a little irresistible. Asgard and Jotunheim are incredibly real, and I loved the rather "old-fashioned," maybe even Shakespearean feel of the Norse world (yes, that was a slight allusion to Iron Man's line from Avengers).

Also, I really liked the way all the characters played off each other. It felt really natural to me, though a lot of depth you wouldn't notice as much in the viewing as in retrospect.

It was actually interesting for me: I saw Avengers before Thor, so I had met the more completely developed Thor and Loki before I saw their origin film. And actually, I like the order I saw them in, strangely enough. For me it added more depth, more than I would have perceived if I had seen them in the "correct" order.

But anyway, it is a fantastic film that I would willingly watch over and over again.

Cinematography: Fabulous. A little overly fond of Dutch angles but I'm not complaining.
Music: Patrick Doyle nailed it. Heroic and epic and absolutely beautiful. I'm aching to have it in my iPod. 
Editing: Two thumbs up. 
Effects: Perfect. Couldn't have been better I think. They completely blended in and were part of the film. 
Plot/Script: Like I said, great, great story. They could have taken even more time with it. 

As well, there are some pretty quotable one-liners. ANOTHER!



The Cameos (Biblical Application) (HERE THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!)
My mom was actually the one that pointed out the great Biblical parallels. Here they go, speed-style:

Putting aside the fact that it was because he was being disobedient, Thor was sent to Earth stripped of his godly figure (and power), and made to walk among men. It is after he sacrifices his own life that his powers are returned to him and he is resurrected. And at the end of film, where do we see him? Standing at the right hand of his father.

It totally sounds like Jesus. Waaay too cool.

Obviously, there are some serious flaws in the analogy when you view the whole story. But the film still echoed so much truth that was hard to ignore. It made me very happy that even a superhero film about Norse gods can reflect Jesus to such an extreme.  




10 Things I Learned from Thor:
  1. Chris Hemsworth has a great smile. Don't get concerned, though, Loki is still my favorite :P
  2. Norse gods can get hit by cars and be fine.
  3. ...but after getting tasered, not so much. 
  4. Loki is just like Scar. You know, Lion King. Thor is obviously Simba.
  5. Coulson isn't quite the wonderful hero I thought he was merely from Avengers....
  6. .. yup, he's still from S.H.I.E.L.D. -_-
  7. It pays off to always sit through the credits of films. Always. Otherwise you would miss epic extra clips that set up for epic extra movies. 
  8. Adopted kids are waaay the big thing in epic tales for some reason.
  9. Never call your dad an old man and a fool. You might get exiled. 
  10. It's not easy being blue..... :P

The Closing Line 
Thor is the perfect film to satisfy the craving for a epic, action & adventure superhero film. Supremely casted and acted, great graphics and a compelling story with a couple laughs along the way. Light enough to enjoy more than once but deep enough for it to be worth every view, this is definitely in my Top 10 favorite movies. 


It's not a bad thing finding out that you don't 
have all the answers. You start asking the right questions. 


13 comments:

Charley Robson said...

I could not agree more! Some of the deleted scenes are so fantastic, I really wish they'd kept them in - especially the one where Loki's waiting with thor before the feast and they tease each other over their helmets.

It was the scene on the Bifrost that really lifted this film for me. I literally WEPT. Loki's not a Scar, really - he never wanted the throne, he says it himself, he just wanted to be Thor's equal. He just wanted to be loved. The trick with Laufey really killed me inside - willing to destroy his own father to convince the man who stole him that he's worthy of love.

Poor Loki. All my hugs.

Also, totally loved the Coulson and Hawkeye cameos (Hawkie's my favourite Avenger). I saw Thor before The Avengers, so everything kinda made more sense for me, but it was really weird re-watching it with my friends the other weekend. Kinda put everyone's crazy behavior into perspective.

And yes, the quotables. "This is totally going on Facebook".

Ely G. said...

eeesh...I loved Thor before I saw Captain America and the Avengers, but then I opinion of it changed drastically. I still like the movie, I just don't like Thor. :D Loki's more my style.
Actually, a friend of mine joking told me that Thor died in the Avengers--and I believed him. *sigh* I about cried when the credits came up and Thor hadn't died yet. :D

Anyway!! I still love this movie(though Avengers is Infinitely more epic) and the quotes are awesome. :D

"What?!?!?!? He was freaking me out!" :P

Ely G.

Nairam said...

This was my introduction to all the Marvel stuffs. I really liked it. I still do.

I like Loki better in this one than in Avengers, though. Here he's actually sympathetic. Avengers he's mostly a creepy psycho. Heh. Anyway.

I seem to like Thor the character more than most of the general population. I think that's just because I'm a sucker for character change...even if it is a bit rushed. (Saying it "should have been longer" really clicked for me...that probably would've helped it out.)

And YES--I want to live in Asgard too. XP It's so purrty. And I rarely get all goggly-eyed over anything except sweeping New Zealand landscapes (aka, Middle Earth landscapes) in movies.

Helen said...

I'm glad you pointed out the resemblance between Thor and Jesus! It makes the movie all the better. :)

Miriam Forster said...

I really need to see this movie. And it's on instant play on Netflix so I have no excuse!

Great review, thank you!

Jake P. said...

Nice review, Abby! This one holds an honored position in my movie library. And though Hiddleston was amazing, Hemsworth really made it for me. I thought he played the roll of Thor to perfection. :) Not to mention he's got an epic, well... hammer. ;)

But, as of right now, I think Captain America is my favorite marvel film (I haven't sen the Avengers yet.) and while Thor's hammer is cool... Cap's shield is cooler. :) And it pro-American allll the way. :)

Emiko said...

Hey Abigail!! I've actually been reading your blog for quite some time but never got around to officially following you 'til now... so, just wanted to say I really like your blog. :)

The Director said...

Yo Emiko! Great to have you around, thank for the comment! :)

I just checked out your bio..... we may be kindred spirits. You see, I have an affinity for everything from classical to J-pop (and K-pop) as well, and I love Hornblower, LOTR, and all that epic stuff ^_^ We need to like, exchange notes or something!

Emiko said...

@The Director: yeah, that'd be awesome!! :) And you listen to K-pop?? I know a few people who really like it...if there are any songs you recommend in particular, let me know and I'll check them out. :)

Eruantien Nenharma said...

This was a great review!!! Now, maybe if I show it to my mom, she'll let me see the movie. She's dubious about both "The Avengers" and "Thor", but I want to see both of those movies so badly...

Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was broadly true to the comic book.

There was some interesing humour in it and I thought that Tom Hiddleston as Loki was the outstanding performance. I look forward to Thor 2.

As an Aussie sc-fi writer I've written quite a lot of Thor fan fiction which you can find under my name on the Fan Fiction Site.

Jake said...

And I can't wait for THOR 2. O______O I heard that Christopher Eccleston - who played the phenomenal Ninth Doctor in Season One of Doctor Who - is going to be acting in it. SO MUCH AWESOMENESSMUBRAINISEXPLOSIONING....

Originally, actually, that's the main reason I watched Thor...so I could watch Eccleston's rumored role on Thor 2 :P

Hunter said...

Thanks for the great review, Abby! Last night, in an attempt to cure a little boredom during my shift at DISH, I went to DISHOnline.com and found Thor. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as enthralled by Thor as you were. It might surprise you that the actual Norse mythology and many other mythologies draw close parallels to the story of Christ, (shhhh, some of those are much older than the story of Christ!) I am unsure how you can find the kiss objectionable unless you are talking about the way the love interest subplot was shoe horned into the main story. I did find the CGI effects to be out standing and the main draw of the film. The pacing and plot left much to be desired.