Friday, December 14, 2012

Back with a queue!


Sorry, I was without internet for a *cough* few days. This post commencing, the Avengers Christmas post is queued for tomorrow, and right after that, a review for one of the best movies ever created. And surprisingly enough, I don't mean The Hobbit.

Anyway, I was going to publish the Avengers post today, but in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting today, I just wanted to give y'all an exhortation.

A few weeks ago there were two high school student suicides in the same week. And more recently, it's been a rough few days as far as the news go. The other day a man walked into a shopping mall near where my dad works, and killed two people and injured a fifteen year old girl. There would have been more if his gun hadn't jammed. Then this morning, a gunman shoots 27 kids and also his mom who worked at the school.

Guys, this stuff is insane. And the problem isn't higher security or gun control. Neither of those things get to the issues of the heart.

I know it sounds like a sappy facebook post or something, but honestly here, we as a nation have pulled out from under the covering of God. People are so shocked that these horrible things happen and they shouldn't be. It's because the devil is having a frickin' heyday with people because they aren't covered in the truth and grace of Jesus Christ, and they lose perspective and hope and the darkness goes in and messes them up.

It's beyond depressing. But I don't say any of this to discourage you. Rather, I say it to rally all of you.

We all are bearers of light. We are workers, harvesters of souls for the God who died to save us. And the daylight is ebbing away, and before you know it, the time we have allotted to work here will be over.

So what are you going to do about it?

My mother was encouraging me this morning to not get distracted, and to really get filled up and to not slack off and live life for your own enjoyment. And I share that with you. Look at the people in your life that don't know the Lord. Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.

Consider this a challenge. Don't worry, I'm going to do it too. But see if today you can share the Gospel, or pray with someone that doesn't know the love of God. Because you never know what the rest of the day is holding for you. Time is short, and we gotta dig in and do everything we can to save people. You with me?

Anyway, I promise you all two more posts in the coming week. Sorry for slacking off. Lord bless you all- now go forth and conquer!

5 comments:

Jake P. said...

Beautiful, thank you, Abby. And no, it didn't sound sappy at all.
Oddly enough, I was in the theater to see The Hobbit when I heard about the shooting. I was shocked. I've seen myriad headlines on shootings this year, but this was by far the worst. We will be praying for the victims.

Thank you again.

Padmé Arya Éowyn Istalrí Skywalker said...

I'll be praying...and i don't know if you heard, but Monday everyone is supposed to wear blue and yellow-the school's colours-to show support.

Helen said...

You know...everyone is so shocked about this shooting and all the others, and I am included. Cherie made a really good point though...what is so different about this from abortion? In fact, we should be even more shocked about abortion because it is the parent killing their own child, not an insane person killing their child.
Anyway, it really hurt hearing about the shooting especially since we almost lost Ronan a couple days ago.
Can't wait for NUTCRACKER! See you then. :)

Jess said...

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light." -Romans 13:11-12

I thought that verse (as it happens my favorite Bible verse) pretty much summed up your post. Thank you for calling me to put on my armor, and not wait another day. Souls are too precious to leave to procrastination.

Praying for you, and for the world.

(And it's funny how hope can double in the midst of despair when you've got Jesus by your side.)

Looking forward to more posts, and methinks I know which movie you are referring to. :-)

Hannah Joy said...

Thanks for this post, Abby. Yesterday when I learned about the shooting I was messed up for the entire rest of the day. I'm still really sick at heart. These things hit me so hard. I just don't understand why bad things happen, especially to children. And it gives me this insatiable desire for going home to a perfect Heaven where every tear will be wiped from our faces and where death will be undone.

But now all there is to do is grieve. For life is Christ--and Christ died a horrible death.

Again, thank you for this post, and I am looking forward to tomorrow and the review of the awesome movie (I think I know what it is :-D).

Keep it up, Abby. You are ever encouraging to the aching heart.