Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Snippets: Double Movie Review

(Sorry these are so short. Not much time on the computer these days.)



Batman Begins
Christopher Nolan

The thrilling beginning of the Batman franchise, headed by the brilliant Christopher Nolan. Starring Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine.
Obviously a must-see for any superhero fans. Batman Begins is an origin story, an action-drama, and an exalter of fear and justice.
Certainly along the darker vein of epic tales, Batman Begins concerns itself with the beginnings of Bruce Wayne and his rise into the unforgettable being of Batman and his quest to bring justice to the villains of his city Gotham.
A fantastic film, one I think is much more than "entertainment." It's serious and thought-provoking and shows the world from several different points of view. Throughout, there are different images, characters, and occurrences that are the result of magnified fear, which certainly make this a more somber and chilling superhero picture than, say, the Avengers.
All the same, it is a classic and well worth a re-watch or two. But lighthearted chick-flick this is not.


Star Trek (2009)
J.J. Abrams

I'm not sure I can adequately praise J.J. Abrams and his ability to make me fall in love with a story I had no interest in previously. Before this film, I had few brushes with Star Trek- some reruns on TV, which we never finished watching. I had the series written off, in my mind, as an old, dusty, and quite cheesy piece of production.
However, multiple viewings of the trailer of Star Trek: Into Darkness in the theater convinced me it was worth a shot. And in order to see the second film, I had to see the first.
This 'modern' Star Trek is thrilling, beautiful, and brilliant in every way. From casting to cinematography to effects to score, I am rendered utterly speechless with admiration. It's a quite tangible and very believable presentation on Trek, and one that reminded me again why I love science fiction.
If you're looking for a space epic, fraught with humor, intelligence, fantastic characters and a brisk pace, look no further than Star Trek.
As for "cleanliness," there is quite a spattering of language, a bit of smooching and one scene that deserves to be skipped.
(Just ask a friend who's seen it before where to edit.)
That aside, Star Trek is, and will remain, one of my favorite movies.
And no, this doesn't mean I renounce my love of Star Wars. There is room for both in my heart. ;)

***

What do you think? Give us your take on these movies if you've seen them.

6 comments:

Helen said...

Mesa going to see Star Trek (2009) soon! I'm excited though I will definitely not let it take the place of Star Wars. :D

Abby said...

I really liked Star Trek. It was exciting, and it had great acting in it. But there were a few skip-able scenes, for sure, and did they really need all that language? I haven't seen Batman Begins but it sounds good too.

Charley Robson said...

Yay Star Trek! Admittedly, I spent a LOT of time laughing at the effects in the old series, but I do love them. The modern movies, luckily, are just as brilliant. Scotty is pretty much my soul xD

As for Batman Begins, I have to admit I wasn't quite so enthralled, perhaps because I knew the origin story already. And I wasn't all that impressed with the villlain. Which is always a bit of a letdown in Batman films. Not to mention Bale's infamous Batman Voice. Chewing marbles or what?

Hannah Joy said...

I am sorta interested in Batman.....but, call me crazy, only because I think the Joker in whichever Batman he is in, is an intriguing bad guy. But other than that, I'm not sure if I'll get into them.

And I am not much of a sci-fi fan, so I don't know about Star Trek. XD

Jake P. said...

Good reviews! Nolan's Batman rules the superhero universe, that's all that needs to be said. :)
I liked Star Trek, very enjoyable and creative. You know J.J Abrams will be directing Star Wars?? Yeah...

Jack said...

I've never liked Batman, but compared to the ones they were making when I was growing up and these three new ones, I will take the new ones. Actually, I've only ever seen the first and I actually kind of liked it. The bad guy didn't freak me out as much as the old ones.

And the new Star Trek...I didn't really like it that much, but it had things I did enjoy. And if anygthing, it got me VERY excited for the second. I am actually kind of counting down months to that one.