Friday, July 26, 2013

One must first be a launchie...


...yes, Ender terminology has made it's way onto my blog.

Well, today has been a fairly big day for me. Three months ago I posted about community college, and today I redid my placement test and I'm happy with it. I reread all the comments on the original post last night, and seriously, you guys are the best friends and followers ever, and I'm so blessed by all of you.

The title of this post comes from something Pathfinder said to me earlier today,

"Remember, one must be a launchie before they can become a fleet commander."

Needless to say, besides making my day and being great encouragement, it also took my brain on a long, possibly useful thought tangent.

Unfortunately, I can't even remember what my profound(?) thoughts were. So much has transpired today...math, driving, book buying, snack eating, college worrying...

Oh wait.

I remember now.

[If you aren't familiar with Ender's Game this might lose you. Apologies.]

Fleet Commander is the goal. While heading out to the community college I was thinking about EG, and how being the best in the school battles seemed like the end goal. And yet, they were just a means to a greater thing. But it seemed so big, and so important.

I just thought it was funny, reading EG and Ender's Shadow, the people that couldn't see past the games, and couldn't understand that the bigger picture was being a part of the International Fleet, and fighting enemies instead of each other. (The nature of those 'enemies' isn't the point, so we'll just let that be.)
Why didn't they set their sights higher? Why were they so wrapped up in the battles that they missed the point of them entirely?

Whatever your goals are in life, abstract or concrete, vast or small, as you adhere to God's will, be sure to not settle for being best in the battle school rankings. God has so much planned for you, and it won't look anything like you thought it should. But it will be amazing. And it will have eternal impact. Don't get lost in the little stuff.

No one on earth could have possibly cared who was at the top of the standings any given day. It didn't serve any purpose but to train. The battles, in and of themselves, didn't change anything. They were merely a stepping stone.

Sure, serving in the fleet was different than being in battle school, or command school. But the fleet was the reason for battle school.

I'm honestly not sure where I'm going with this. I just want to encourage you not to get too wrapped up in the here and now. Or to set your sights too low. Be open to what the Lord has for you. See everything as training ground for something even greater.

Because the fleet did something. When you command fleets, you do wonders. You fight the true enemy. You win battles. You're pushed harder than every before, but what you're doing will change the universe permanently.

But remember, all fleet commanders started out as launchies. Don't let that discourage you.


5 comments:

Ely Gyrate said...

As a girl who is finishing up senior year and looking forward to what I want to do with my life, I get this. So stinkin' much.

Thank you writing about this (and for speaking in the Ender language. ;) )

Ely Gyrate

Amaranthine said...

ender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's gameender's game

Hannah Joy said...

Ah! Congratulations on redoing your test!

And thanks for the words of wisdom. I needed them right now. Even if I don't get all the Ender's Game references. ;-) Maybe I should just read those books...

Have fun being one of the awesomest launchies ever. :-)

Pathfinder said...

That one didn't come from me.

God put that in my head, and it actually startled me a bit.

I thought to share it with you, then wondered if fleet commander was the right term.

Then something (rather, Someone), said,'Does it really matter? She'll get the point even if it isn't,' and nudged me to pass it on to you.

'Slippers said...

I never told you how much I totally loved this post Abby! It's super good, and encouraging :)

-Slippers