Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What Does It Take To Make A Movie?

I'm sure some of you have checked out this post which addresses a new script and, Lord willing, my first (real) production. I'm sure your interest is piqued, at least a little bit! Why on earth am I waiting until next year? What does it take to make a short film?

I will tell you. At least the very beginnings of it.

First off, I'm just going to tell you (if you haven't gathered this already): I don't do anything by half measures if I can help it. So if I'm going to make a short film, then dangit, it's going to be a beautiful short film and as high-quality and professional as I can make it.

*stubborn nod as often found on three year olds*

Secondly, I plan on working with as few friends as possible. Because film sets get intense, I get intense, and I don't want any of my friendships ruined over a film. Thus, when I'm working, I would prefer to keep as many of my relationships as professional as possible. Which means I need to find people for the crew, audition actors, work out their schedules, all that.

Thirdly, if you're gonna make the picture look good, decent equipment is preferred. There are loads of rental places for films. However, they do cost.....*cough* moolah. And then there's the cost of feeding people and covering stuff like duct tape and costumes and gas. On top of that, location scouting. I have to find the place(s) I want to shoot, and obtain permission to do so, which can take ages. And possibly more money.

Basically, I need to befriend a very rich person who has a taste for the arts.

Fourthly, planning. Obviously, I don't need a year to plan a simple, five-odd page short. But if we make allowance for life in general, school, holidays, and other people's schedules, that's a lot of time I don't have at my disposal to work on this. So I need to set this project a bit farther out in the future so it's not a mad rush to plan it and get it done.

So when I say, "I'm thinking about making a movie," the list in my head isn't just actors and a camera. It's costumes. It's crew. It's locations. It's storyboarding. It's buying equipment. It's auditioning actors. It's figuring out where to even find these people. It's wondering where on earth I'm going to get money. It's a gazillion factors that I have to juggle. Every director/producer, ever, has dealt with juggling a pile of tasks like this. And lots of the time, even bigger ones.

Making a movie, even a short one, is a tall order. But it's worth it when you love it.

In a few months, I'll be able to document more pre-production and production. Lord willing, of course. Hope this shed a wee little light on the process!


7 comments:

Nita said...

I can't wait to see your production!

Hannah Joy said...

I can't wait to see it....but I don't envy being in your shoes! Sounds like a LOT of work! But I have no doubt you can pull it off! They don't call you The Director for no reason! ;-D

Jess said...

Have you thought about using Kickstarter to help funding? It might turn out to be a slightly more reasonable version of befriending a very rich person. ;-) I could put in a word for you with Tony Stark, but I'm afraid the "taste for the arts" part is a little lacking there.

Farjag said...

Go forth and conquer, Director! And if you need any productorial assistance from the other side of the U.S., let me know!

Kismint said...

*sigh* The reality part of being creative is awfully depressing. -_-

T.D. said...

thank you all!

@Hannah Joy
it's actually quite fun to me, oddly enough :P

@Jess
Hahaha! I hadn't thought of a kickstarter but I might just do that!

@Farjag
Many thanks! I shall inform you at once if there is any need. Most certainly!

@Kismint
yeahhhh. moneyyyy D':

Wimsey Productions said...

It was so funny to read this post because we've been through exactly the same process!Lots of work! My sister and I are homeschool grads starting a film business. Hope you can take a look at our latest project.